What's The Best Way?

Jon Green

Hi,

Tried really had to find the answer by searching but couldn't....... The car (not mine) has been standing for a few months and the clutch is siezed.. Tried starting it in first gear with no success....

Whats the best method.... without dismantling......oh and its a porsche :ph34r:

Cheers,

Jon

start the engine and let it run for half an hour, then try starting it in gear, if it still plays up, start it in 1st, go for a drive and change gear as noemal, it will free once the spinner has got hot and unstuck itself from the flywheel.

Guest FIRSTBUILD

dont know if this will work but it did on a VW , take out the rubber cover and push the clutch cable out of the way and drench the gear shaft with WD 40 or plus gas then do all the normal starting in gear things

Guest chris brown

Wouldn’t advise squirting anything into the bell housing. Just do as Jim says never known one to hold out for long once the car is being driven but don’t be afraid of being a bit rough with it.

Keep liquids away from the clutch. What has happened, is that dampness (condensation etc) in the spinner, has rusted the clutch spinner to the flywheel, so you have to get some heat into the clutch assembly, thne a few grizzly gear changes will sort it out.

I have had success in the past with running the engine till hot, then switching off, putting it in first and sitting in with the clutch pedal depressed while a couple of burly mates rock you to and fro or you have a short tow. Clutch pedal must be down.

Nigel

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Petemate

FWIW

Follow Nigel's advice, i.e. run till hot, 1st gear, depress clutch pedal, ensure plenty of room in front of car, ^_^ then a little "stab" or two at the starter, obviously turning the key right back to off each time in case the engine catches........ :rolleyes: Has worked for me many a time in the past. B)

HTH

Pete