Lightweight Collection

peter_m7uk

The day of my Lightweight collection is upon me. Next Friday, in fact :D B)

Just thinking, though :wacko: , as the kit is less than comprehensive, I need

a few other goodies. What do people make of Lolocost??

I still need mirrors, steering wheel and boss, track rod ends, brake pipes, fuel pipes and heater/demister, which are all stocked by Lolocost. Before I trawl through all possible suppliers, anyone have comments on how they compare on price and quality of components??

Additionally, I need a fuel tank, seats and full wiper system, not sold by Lolocost.

Anyone suggest good suppliers for these things? Cheers ;)

Pete

Guest chris brown
What do people make of Lolocost??
For the list you have given I would recommend Lolocost for all except the mirrors which I believe are the same as supplied in the 2B kit (Tiger ones are much better). The steering wheel and boss are not of the best looking but what do you expect for the price and they do last well I've yet to notice a hood with a tatty one.

As for the fuel tank you are in no rush for it. If it were me I would have a ally one made up to my own design this may not cost as much as you think and that way depending what the car is to be used for the size can be adjusted accordingly.

The best source for wipers Mini's in scrap yards.

As for seats doesn’t RHSC supply seats as fitted to the demonstrator which I and others who tried them at Harrogate thought that with suitable padding made up to fit would look good and be very comfortable.

Thanks a lot for the reply, Chris :D

121 views and one reply :blink: Anyone else got views on Lolocost bits??

Any particular company you'd go to for the tank, Chris, and what price

do you reckon?

Were those seats the ones I saw? i.e. Made of sheet ali, with holes drilled

in and rubber edging? I thought they were perhaps made to demonstrate

the Lightweight ("flimsy") concept, but not sure I'd have them in my car!

Nearly Friday home time :p

Pete

Price of lolocost parts is on par with local spares shop,but if you are buying a lot from them, you may get a discount, may worth asking, i know they did offer discount if a certain amount was spent, not sure if they still do it.

As for the seats, there bought from a third party as a lot of the items on the demo car.

heater?, you sure you want a heater?, thought the whole concept was to keep it light?.

And im not convinced a heater is needed in a RH, apart from demisting

HTh

Mitch

Guest chris brown
And im not convinced a heater is needed in a RH, apart from demisting
I would go further than Mitch and say a heater is not needed in a RH (IMHO) if you are going to put it through SVA with the screen on then fit a pair of electric de-misters also sold by Lolocost among others.

I would go further than Mitch and say a heater is not needed in a RH (IMHO) if you are going to put it through SVA with the screen on then fit a pair of electric de-misters also sold by Lolocost among others.

Must disagree with you Chris. <_<

You can get away without a heater for keeping yourself warm in a 2B especially, as the fit for the firewall to the bonnet is particularly crap, so all the heat & fumes from the engine bay flow uninterupted into the cockpit, with a properly sealed engine bay (like what I've got! :p ) they don't!

Also those electric fan heaters are at best rubbish (ask the superspec owners)

if you're building a kit, then get a Polo heater fitted.

Guest Battery Bill

I agree with Jim "Squeak" "Squeak" :lol: :lol:

We just gave away some of these fan heater thingys because they were rubbish,

At lest if you fit a heater you have the option of making the car warmer if you get cold (Which you will) :rolleyes:

We have just ordered some Lolocost bits for the front suspension on "Car 2" as we have used these bits before we know its exactly what we wanted, There was a bit of a mistake with the 4 into 1 Manifold, we ordered the "SS" one and the mild steel jobby turned up the next day, a quick call to Gina and it was all sorted out :D :D

Guest chris brown
You can get away without a heater for keeping yourself warm in a 2B especially, as the fit for the firewall to the bonnet is particularly crap,
You calling my car crap? :p :p :p As you know I have a fixed scuttle which is fully sealed except for a leak round the steering column where the gaiter has come off and I have no problem even on frosty mornings. As for the electric de-misters although not fantastic they are adequate and do the job even on a winters evening when both sides of the glass is getting damp.

Guest salty_monk

In my opinion you need an absolute beast of a heater to make a difference unless you are driving with the hood up.... for simple demisting I'm sure the electric things are as good as say a mini heater if fitted close enough to the screen... :)

Guest chris brown
In my opinion you need an absolute beast of a heater to make a difference unless you are driving with the hood up
Hoods are only for when it’s raining/snowing or even more important in hale otherwise orible things :p :p

Guest gordon_macnab
In my opinion you need an absolute beast of a heater to make a difference unless you are driving with the hood up....

Cosworth Turbo :p ........I'm never cold with hood on or off

V6 XR4i lump and I've never cold either.

Although I do hope to rectify the amount of heat coming into the cockpit for next year. I nearly melt my shoes.

That said the vauxhall lump of Jims does run surprisingly cool compared to the Pinto.

For the tank why not try Allyfab in Derby. Click here for link. They built me a tank for a Land rover for £150 and a Robin hood tank with internal pump for £270. A standard hood tank was about £120.

Although I've got problems with my swirlpot, the workmanship of the ally welding was superb and the chap there is going to have my tank back this year to sort out an additional swirlpot and extend the pump pickup.

Cheers

The day changed to this Wednesday :huh: , so still humming and haaring.

When I said heater/demister, I really just meant demister to pass the SVA test.

I am a Geordie, after all ;) :D I see that Car Builder Solutions sell them, but for £22 each, rather than £18 or £30 for two at Lolocost. Anyone know if you can get away with one for that purpose, or do you really need two to demist the whole screen?? By the way, is it straightforward to put it through the test without a screen? :huh: How does it stand legally if you fit it later and don't bother with demisters..?

Thanks for the info guys,

Pete

Guest mkeats02

It is much easier to pass the test with out the windscreen and less hassle, no wipers or washers required as well as no heater. I'm not fitting an heater at the moment, might reassess the situation when it is on the road.

The sub-k firewall is a terrible fit like Jims says, I have modded mine to fit properly, don't fancy the engine fumes myself!! Don't know what the lightweight is like, haven't seen one.