Failed!

Guest Kev H

Guest Kev H

Failed SVA at Beverley yesterday on following:

Front brake pipes too short on full lock, I thought they were ok but obviously I was wrong

External projection on exhaust not radiused. I missed this one, my fault.

Speedo reading 70MPH actual speed 71MPH. oh yeah, right!

Center seat belt mounting insuffient strength.

Rear wheels lock up before front. I will fit the sierra bias valve.

All in all I'm pretty pleased. The car drove great, both there and back from the test. The people at the test center were friendly and informative. The rework is minimal and will only take a few hours to put right then I will be back there for the retest.

Kev

Guest Andy Rathbone

how will you sort the speedo thing? you could try dropping a few PSI out of your tyres, this might work as it will reduce the rolling diameter of the wheels, thus making your speedo read higher, let us know how you get on.

i feel i will need all the help i can get!!!

good luck with your retest

Guest Battery Bill

Kev

What exactly was the problem with the center steering mount?

We have just done ours hope its right.

Its a bit daft the speedo thing, I bet even wiggling the speedo cable around a bit would change the reading a small amount like that!

Well done anyway

Kev, good luck but fitting the Sierra brake bias thingy will not make any difference on a rolling road. It is inertia operated and works on a ball continuing to move forwards as the car slows down. I had posted a picture on the old web site showing the insides. There is a way of making it work all the time though if you mounted it pointing downwards I suppose but not sure if you could get it to bleed fully. The better way is to use a modifed mini one which is shown on one of Dave Andrews downloadz on the old site.

Peter :unsure:

As this is a safety issue its important to get it right not just get it passed. SVA used to take the view that if an inertia compensator was fitted a roller test would be done followed by a practical test outside to see if the examiner could lock the rear wheels before the fronts. Check with your centre to see if this is still the case.

Problem with fitting is the difficulty in bleeding, so decide where to put it, then plumb it in with enough slack copper pipe to place it vertical to bleed. After bleeding rotate to about 20 deg off the horizontal and fix with one hole and one slot. Then you can go out somewhere quiet and safe do a few emergency stops, adjust the angle till the bias suits you and bolt up tight.

Of course all this falls if SVA won't accept the system and you then have to make or buy an alternative.

(Dave Andrews site here )

Nigel

Guest daveg

Hmmm :unsure:

If its sva you want and the brakes are ok in normal use... :unsure:

You could smear a little oil on the rear shoes to get through :ph34r:

Only do this if you are happy with the brakes, don't do it if you have rear discs as a proper solution is needed IMHO

Dave

Legal disclaimer :blink: the decission is yours...I am only trying to help you pass

Guest Andy C

Kev. Unlucky not to get through first time by the sound of it.

It seems crazy that you were failed on a 1mph error on the speedo - that's well within the legal reuirement as I understand it. Makes me even more apprehensive about putting my 2b in for it! By the way, how do you intend to strengthen the seat belt fixing? Best of luck with the retest. Andy :rolleyes:

Guest Kev H

Thanks for the suggestions and the support everyone.

I have already sorted the speedo by stripping it and moving the needle back. I tested it first by driving it with an electric drill, recording the speed and did the same after i had moved the needle. It now reeds 5mph slower than before, less acurate than it was but it should now pass.

The seat belt inner mounts are two angle brackets inside the car bolted through the floor and the return on the tunnel side. On the underside I put a large 3mm thick plate to spread the load. The examiner wanted it secured to the angle iron cross member which runs across the back between the torsion bar mounting plates on the chassis. Luckily the plate was almost touching the angle iron so I have put a run of weld across them, this was agreed with the examiner on the day. Basically the examiner wanted the inner mounts to be secured to the chassis in some way.

As for the brake bias, the car passed the rolling road test but from the figures he recorded the examiner thought that the rear wheels would lock, so he tested this by driving the car and by doing an emergency stop, he was right, both rear wheels locked up. He suggested fitting the sierra bias valve and said that he had passed most hoods with this fitted.

On the plus side all the people at the test station commented on the quality of the build and were all impressed with the finish, not enough to sway them to a pass though. Anyway all the points were fairly minor so I was not too depressed.

Kev

Guest Taffy Rob

Hiya

reaer brakes - did you use new shoes?

I had a similar problem, and found that sandpapering down the trailing edge of the shoes works wonders.

Rob

p.s. I also 'spilt' a little fluid into the drums prior to test.

Guest Peter n the better half

POUR OIL ON THE SHOES ????????

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE OIL BURNS OFF ?????

Your back to having a hydraulid handbrake thats foot opperated.

For safetys sake dont do it.

Either that or could you all post where and when youll be on the roads so i can avoid using them ...... :angry: