Moving The Handbrake

Guest tom2b

My handbrake is currently mounted in the passenger footwell, im nearly 6foot tall and even i struggle to reach it with my harnesses on, i know i can make a bracket to raise it up higher but before i start on that, how easy would it be to move it on top of the tunnel at the rear? Would it be simpler just to raise it or just as easy to move it?

Tom

Guest salty_monk

Tom,

Doesn't look too difficult however having had one in the footwell in my first car & one on the tunnel top in this one I'd go for the footwell every time.

The footwell one is a bit of a pain but leaves a nice clear tunnel top & plenty of elbow room when driving, the tunnel top one can be restrictive I think....

Somewhere there are some pictures of one that was cranked & also modified to be "fly off" can't find them at the moment though, thought it may be the NW site but if so I can't see it...

Dan :)

i modifyed my floor mounted one to make it easy to reach for the sva....

now thats passsed the missus moans its in the way,

i intend to get a standard one from the scrappy this weekend

the modded one is available for postage plus a beer :rolleyes:

Jon, difficult to see from your pic but you may have problems with the axles that the pulleys are mounted on straining and bending. Can I suggest a plate supporting the top of the axle and bolting to the floor. If you make it over lap a bit and even bend it back toward the floor panel it would also stop the cable jumping off the pulley.

Very bad pic below. :(

Nigel

Dave you have a pm.

Im thinking footwell is probably best as knowing my luck id constantly smack my elbow on it whilst changing gear, never a pleasant experience. My main concern is sva at the moment so if daves modified design has worked for him its worth a go. Thanks for your ideas.

Guest chris brown

Go for a fly off its easy to do and easy to use and sits about in line with the gearlever. It used to be on the SG7 site but seems to have disappeared but if you want to mod yours I can send the instructions along with lots of photos.

shut up Bill :p :p

Nigel,

Cheers for the comments on the pulley's. I thought I might have trouble with the cable jumping off to begin with but its been fine for a good 5 months. The cable always has enough tension to stop it straying.

My SVA tester did comment on handbrake position. He said it was something on the 2B he could always fail people on, if they fitted it as per the instructions / video. He has only ever come across on person who could reach the standard RH position with belts on. He had very long arms!

When changing gear i find that the handbrake on the tunnel top doesn't get in the way at all. My elbow just clears it without conciously lifting unless of course the handbrake is on..... but then there wouldn't be much point in changing gear! :D

Jon

Guest Battery Bill

Like Jon says we have no problem when changing gear, we have cut and welded ours so it tilts down when off so its no problem.

It is more awkward than a tin top to do hill starts and sometimes Joey gets my elbow in his ear but thats no problem eh :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest Giggling_Buffoon
I must be a Gorilla then as I never had any problems reaching the one in my footwell... :D

Time to check knuckles for scrapes!!!! :lol: :lol:

It is possible to 'tip' the front mounting upwards with a nice bit of hollow square section tube (which lets me just about operate the handbrake).

Tom

Here's somthing completely different.

If you have reasonable engineering skills you could try this.

You need to reccess it into the tunnel slightly to keep it really tight up to the top tube so that it does not encroach into your knee space.

See Finnished item on page 2

post-5-1130884421.jpg