L/w Nose

E.Hunt

I think I've folded wrong :( can't seem to get the holes to line up on the front panel (the one with the "H").

Could some one please measure across the top and across the bottom as mine tapers from top to a narrower bottom.

thank you

colin

Guest nikscott

Hi Colin,

Took a pic but didnt measure - will do that tomorrow. I guess if it tapers then it must be folded wrong. I cant remember what marks i folded to. I have managed to straight out & rebend a couple of bits i did the wrong way. That is one benefit of the soft material. I hope its not giving you too much grief

post-3-1131402909.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I see you have a small gap at the bottom corner as well. How annoying :gdit:

I didn't fancy trying to straighten out and re-bend, as the ali is bound to weaken

by being bent at 90 degrees and back again... I was thinking to tap the sides in

a bit with a rubber hammer instead, but need to check if the nosecone will cover

this "modification" <_<

Pete

Thanks for the replies, sorry I took so long not been very well :wacko:

decided as long as the centre mark lines up the rest will come together as in the dvd (do the check anything?)

also descovered two lengths of the big pop rivits :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest RichChat

Am about half way through l/w paneling. You will find liberal use of rubber mallet gives great results to getting the panels to get into line. I do warn you though if you get a bit wrong don't just carry on leaving it a bit out of line as later on something else will surely not fit. I can report this from my experience. :gdit:

As I have already mentioned elsewhere in my experience so far the holes predrilled for you vary a bit from the DVD and also take a bit more effort to line up than the RHood guys show.

Plus do not be too liberal using the spare ali sheeting as I ran out and the longer rivets also are not sufficient for all the areas where the extra length is needed. Suppose these sort of things are why the kit only costs what it does :blink:

Guest chris brown
I ran out and the longer rivets also are not sufficient
At least you got some rivets of the same material as the body the 2B used to come with about 40 ally 3.2mm rivets. Very useful on a stainless chassis and panelled car. :wacko: :wacko:

Guest ScotMac

Hi,

This chassis not lining up thing doesn't sound too fun. So, are the pre-drilled holes drilled in the right spot? And are there enough pre-drilled holes to *somewhat* get all the chassis panels together?

ie, i like the idea of using temp rivets w/ all the pre-drilled holes to get the chassis panels all in the right configuration before drilling the extra needed holes. But obviously this is predicated on the fact that RH drilled the pre-drilled holes in *pretty* *much* the right spot, *and* there are enough of them. B)

Been kinda quiet...i assume everyone is working feveriously to finish their chassis/build!!! :unsure: Any more pictures for us still awaiting for our kit...btw, my pickup date has now been extended a week til 12/12. btw2, i will be in the uk for that weekend, and that pickup date. So, if anyone knows of something interesting to do that weekend, or has a (semi) completed lightweight to show me, let me know...i am sure it would buy you some of that thick stuff you brits call beer...or is that irish?!!? :unsure: :unsure: ;)

Hope your feeling better, Colin.

Feeling lot better ScotMac :)

most of the holes line up but the dvd seems to show mark 2 and we seem to have the mark 3 (mark 1 is the 1 in the brochure with the handbrake on the tunnel and the gauges in the center of the dash i think.)

got 4 boxes of rivitts with my kit 2 long & 2 short.

used up one box of longs before i reliased :huh:

front seems to be in line now

this is how far I've got

nearly there?

Guest ScotMac

Speaking of in car monitors (get these guys back on track), actually i am planning to have a mount for a laptop in the cockpit (maybe not quite as large as Colin's!!! ;-). That way i can do real time logging of my ecu data, for tuning (also note, this is the ONLY WAY my ecu will log data!! ;-). Might even it make part of the dash!!! Has anyone tried this? How does it work out???

OK, so the post has NOTHING to do w/ the lightweight nose piece....

I am planning to mount either an 8" or a 10.2" widescreen, touchscreen monitor in the center of my dash. I will then hook up a VIA EPIA PC running linux. This will be used for tuning the megasquirt running the engine, in car entertainment and recording video from the on board cameras. I plan to use freevo for the ICE/video recording. Once the GPIO board is available for the megasquirt I hope to add telemetry to the recorded video (G force from a gyro, speed from a VR sensor pointed at the prop, peddle position from brake and clutch pots. RPM, throttle etc are already provided by the megasquirt). Freevo also supprts hooks to external programs so I plan to link in sat nav.

No the PC won't take ages to boot. I will use suspend to disk so it comes on in a few seconds.

I will also need to add a panic button so I can clear the telemetry should I get pulled over by the boys in blue.

I haven't totally decided on the camera's yet. USB webcams would be cheap but they probably aren't good enough quality. You can get small weather sealed colour CCTV camera's quite cheaply. They are only three hundred and something lines though. I would prefer broadcast quality ones. These output a composite video signal so I would need some capture cards/USB capture devices for the PC.

The simple option would be one capture card in the PC and a switch to switch between multiple camera's. At the minute Freevo only supports one video feed so I might start out this way. I can modify freevo for multiple video feeds and telemetry later.

I think I will start out with three camera's. One on the anti roll bar and two near the rear view mirror, one looking forward and one backward.