Reducing The Travel Of A Stearing Rack

Guest Guy

Hi All,

My wheel rims are hitting on the wishbones on full lock :( I can fit wheel spacers but what would really help is if I could reduce the travel of the rack just a bit, is this possible? has anyone done it?

The rack is a powered one (with no power and all pipes removed or linked) from a Granada :D

That's exactly the picture I wanted to see Nigel, thanks. I remember in the hood I had problems on full lock with self centring as well, something to do with the length of the wheelbase so it'll solve two problems at once.

Guest yosamite sam

you could manufacture steering stops - on the hub - fit a big bolt in the hub or on it somehow to nudge against the rack - perhaps mount a bracket on the TRE to touch against it - hard to explain - like a stopper.. they are fitted on nissan primera's - just a big bolt type thing - stops the wheel going too far inboard..

• 10 months later...
The way I did it. Had a local engineering company machine up two steel cylinders as shown in the pic below. The ball joints on the tie rods screw off the ends of the rack. Push one cylinder on each end and I held them in place by spots of weld as shown.

Nigel

Hi, I have a Robin Hood 2b. Same trouble, the steering does not stop until the mud-guard touches the tie-rod. Could you please send the pictures of what you had made. what dimensions are they?

Regards,

Nathan

Ah the joys of overall file limit. I have posted many wireing diags etc so have to keep going back through posts and removing old pics. As below. Just a cylindrical polo but in mild steel not peppermint. Int dia is a few thou bigger than steering rack bar, ext dia same as ball joint cover on track rod end and width of whatever you need to limit the turn by, in my case half and inch wide.

Nigel

I've got the pic stored in my 'useful stuff' folder but it's still a job to do. I've stripped the car back to the chassis to paint it so assembly will start in the next few weeks. I'm going to use some pipe, cut it to fit it over the rack and then weld it into position.

Ah the joys of overall file limit. I have posted many wireing diags etc so have to keep going back through posts and removing old pics. As below. Just a cylindrical polo but in mild steel not peppermint. Int dia is a few thou bigger than steering rack bar, ext dia same as ball joint cover on track rod end and width of whatever you need to limit the turn by, in my case half and inch wide.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel, that looks like the neatest way I can imagine.

I did the same sort of thing as Nigel, then cut my polo mint into two halves , drilled and tapped so they clamp back together tight on the rack.

Result is I can adjust their position to give me all the steering lock I want.

In the pump industry we used to call them muff couplings, but thats another story :blink:

If you want a picture please ask.

I did the same sort of thing as Nigel, then cut my polo mint into two halves , drilled and tapped so they clamp back together tight on the rack.

Result is I can adjust their position to give me all the steering lock I want.

In the pump industry we used to call them muff couplings, but thats another story :blink:

If you want a picture please ask.

I think I understand - cut like a polo-mint that has brocken into semicircular pieces, not one that is very thin. Then the two halves clamp together, around the end of the rack.