Switches And Warning Lights

Snapperpaul

I have done a quick dummy fit of the Guages and now i need to look at where switches and warning lights go. I might get a Bright Six and add switches and warning lights from there, but i have come over all confused again.

Any ideas on what switches i must have to pass SVA and any picks of dashes would help.

I might get a Bright Six

i bought one of these, and have had the nagging feeling i could have made one just as good myself for much less. All you need is some bright leds from maplin, a few resistors, and a small block of something (even wood) with 6 holes in to mount the leds. Then make a screen by making (copying) a design on the pc, and printing onto thin plastic. All in all should only cost a few quid.

Sorry to say this but fit seat and steering wheel. Now place hands on wheel and see how much of the dials you can see without waggling your head around. You may be surprised at what you can see of those little dials.

It shouldn't just look good unless you want to fit dummy gauges. It has to work.

Nigel

Guest Cantbearsed

Good point Longboarder. Wish someone had told Leyland that when they moved the speedo to behind the wheel on the old minis. Never knew how much fuel i had or how fast i was going after 33mph, hands in the way!!

Make you right, the seat is in and the photo was taken after i took the steering wheel off. I thought of putting speedo and rev over the steeringwheel but would not be able to see a thing. So have put the important guages, oil preasure and water temp in the best viewable place with the fuel guage bottom right.

At this stage i will go with the holes in the dash as they are and replan the dash if it does not work. Now switches and lights any pics?

Must have to pass SVA.

The list is shortish.

Light switch.

Rear high intensity light switch.

Screen demister switch ( could be always on ).

Horn switch

Some way of testing brake warning light (hand brake switch normally used for this)

Indicator switch

Hazard warning light switch

main/dip switch

Wiper switch.

screen washer switch.

Many of these are normally on the stalks.

Guages only a speedo is required.

lights.

Main beam warning.

Hazzard warning (normally in switch)

Rear high intensity warning (often in switch)

brake fail warning (often activated by float switch detecting loss of brake fliud)

Not required but normally fitted

Oil pressure

Ignition

Guest Alan_builder

B)

Switches Ah!

Take a good look @ SVA Manual!

We failed on the cigaret lighter. We had fitted one from a newish car - it was all nice and round at the outer end, good 5mm radious, it FAILED! Remove the cigaret lighter and we passed!

Heater switches on most new cars fail, yes the rotary ones with 5mm radious.

Basically the SVA man dislikes objects which poke out of the dash. Fit all these items on a smaller panel and set it back so all the switch is behind the front panel and he can't get the 6" sphere to contact, so make the openings small.

When U get to the hood (engine cover) make sure the louvers are not bent out of shape and the washer jets are low profile and radioused. Use the 6" ball to search for edges all over the car.

Alan

I :wub: my Robin Hood

Guest Alan_builder

I :wub: my Robin Hood :wub:

Here just made an SVA page, not finished it yet. this can be found from my link page

My Webpage

and selecting the SVA link to see our dash and the cigaret lighter.

The site is still underconstruction, just like the RH.

Alan

I :wub: my RH