Tiebar Conversion

Guest Duncan Venn

Guest Duncan Venn

I've just passed SVA with my Exmo and will shortly be on the road. However the front end bounces all over the place because of the stiff Sierra anti-roll bar

I've been in contact with Richard Halfacre who used to make the tiebar conversions, but does not do so any more. Before I go and find a local engineering shop to have them made, does anyone

either

have some tiebars they want to get rid of

or

know someone who makes them?

Thanks

Duncan

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tim Norman

Where you at? I might have a pair at the back of the garage. I've said it before and I'll say it again The Hood needs an anti roll bar, just not as stiff as the Sierra on. If you can find one the rear anti roll bar of a Reliant Robin is about the right size.

Without wishing to move the thread to drastically as i was considering going the tiebar route. How do you fit the anti roll bar from the Reliant ( if i could find one) or could i grind/mill down the sierra anti roll bar?

I have a sub K with the anti-roll bar fitted.

I plan to leave it like this for the SVA but will be looking for better option once this is complete. :D I guess swapping to wishbones could be relatively expensive, especially if you dont have welding gear???

You dont see many Reliants around the scrappies these days, come to think of it I dont think i've ever seen one :ph34r:

I never thought of the tie bar method, I suppose some could be made up by cutting the anti-roll bar about 8 inches from the botton arm and fabricating some way to connect this to the chassis???? Just an idea. :wacko:

Guest mark kingston

what tyre pressure are you running at???

as the kit is light most people run at about 18psi which is comfortable.

if you have a higher pressure it will bounce around alot

regards

Mark kingston

Guest Alan_builder

:ph34r:

Hi all U exmo owners,

I have not seen any one say what Sierra rollbar you are using.

I know there are 2 sizes 1" and 1.125" or 25mm and 28mm I have been told they are 24, 26 & 28mm options. On the 2b/04 fitting anything other than the smallest size is almost impossible, I gave up and purchased a new small one.

You may find you have the larger size which is why you think they are too stiff, so a good idea to check prior to abandoning the Sierra option.

I :wub: my RH.

Guest micky bigthumbs

I had the short returns to the body .. i've followed Big jims advice and Tim's on roll bars and fixed a flat solid bar connecting the two short roll bars ..bolting through the body into the brackets....it has noticably imroved the handling ..mines a 3a

Mick

There has been lots of pictures of these on here in the past but just to add to them here are mine! They are the Richard Halfacre straight ones, there is a drawing for these on Dave Andrews site. They can just foul the tyres on full lock, some people have used the cranked ends of the roll bar, Big Jim has I think, but it is very hard material to machine. Fit them, no one has regretted it, the handling is improved no end.

Peter

post-7-1135900614.jpg

I have seen these before, so my confusion is........

The tie bars with or without the cross bracing still leave the movement of each front wheel totaly seperate, no anti roll effect just some stiffening of the body (which of course is a very good thing).

The anti roll bar as fitted ( and i was unaware of the different sizes) is far to stiff.

So machine down the one we have (not easy to do well) or add tie bars with cross bracing to improve the rigidity of the monocoque tub and add a much smaller roll bar?

This could run and run