Reverse Gear.

Guest Gargoil

Been looking in my Haynes manual and there isn't much to go on. The plastic saddle connected to the gearlever, can I assume that I just need to unbolt the lever and it will be visible/easily replaced?

Edited by Gargoil

No luck with the plastic saddle or clutch cable, they both seem to be in a good condition.

A couple of photos below show the inside of the gearbox where the lever sits and the lever itself. Does the saddle look as if it's in the correct place and which way round does the lever go?

I can select all forward gears but I think the thing that is stopping me with reverse is that the the lever cant be pushed down, The spring on the lever itself is good, it compresses easily, so is it a problem with the linkage somewhere?

2014-09-25143212_zpse480129a.jpg

2014-09-25143837_zps57b09e62.jpg

SWMBO arrives tomorrow and if she finds the gearbox is cream crackered straight after spending a kings ransom on the engine, it will be pointless for me to grow a couple. She would be cutting them off too.... :help:

Edited by Gargoil

it'll be the position of the bearing on your stick that is the problem. There may be a little clip holding it in place (mine had been modified and didn't have one) and if so remove it, and gently tap the bearing up the shaft a bit. Too far and you'll engage reverse without having to go through the gate, in which case move it back!

The gear lever moves up and down freely (compressing its spring) in its ball and socket, when not mounted on the box. It's when the lever is bolted down that the spring wont compress. I can see a clip holding the spring in place but if I remove that, the spring will have nothing to hold it in place. The c clip on the underside, just holds everything in together. In the pictures, does it look like the shaft has moved on the bearing?

2014-09-25165115_zpsd67886d7.jpg

2014-09-25165136_zps41fa4f82.jpg

Guest plasterman

Get another gearstick and try that,if that works,as yours looks like its had some work done to it.

You can usually get reverse by using a long screwdriver without the stick in,try that.