Car Suggestions

Guest docter fox

Guest docter fox

I'm sat here wondering about ideas for a new car, the insurance on my big diesel beast is up for renewal over summer so thinking at changing it for something a lil more sporty to fill a bit of the gap that selling the hood left, I've been looking at the possibility of a ford puma as they're reasonably nippy and pretty cheap to insure and run but not sure, also been looking at the golf gt tdi but ideally only wanting to spend around 3k so they're a bit over my prefered budget... just wondered if people had any suggestions?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest macca
I'm sat here wondering about ideas for a new car, the insurance on my big diesel beast is up for renewal over summer so thinking at changing it for something a lil more sporty to fill a bit of the gap that selling the hood left, I've been looking at the possibility of a ford puma as they're reasonably nippy and pretty cheap to insure and run but not sure, also been looking at the golf gt tdi but ideally only wanting to spend around 3k so they're a bit over my prefered budget... just wondered if people had any suggestions?

At risk of lots of flack here:

IMHO (and the lads in the office) The Puma is a hairdressers car....... :o

What about:

MX5?, Polo GTI? - erm again hardressers cars....

OR

Fiat coupe

Mistsubish FTO

Nissan 200SX

Pug 306 GTI

Toyota MR2

Celica

Guest paulh

MX-5 all the way IMHO. I test drive one last week and althought that particular one was not the one for me, i am now actively looking to buy one cos i loved it!

Used to have an MX5 import (Eunos) - bought it direct from an importer with warranty and it was great, never put a foot wrong.

Plus you can buy an Irish 'MAZ ****' registration for it for peanuts if you want to and no-one will known how old it is (not that it bothered us).

Andy

Guest allenr03

Mazda MX6?

96/97 car in good nick, fully loaded, 70,000 miles would be around £2.5 - £3k. They have 2.5 litre V6, great chassis and there aren't many around. I think they're group 16 insurance though so won't be cheap!!

Or, Seat Ibiza Cupra R. Should be able to get a really nice one - and they go well!!

Guest docter fox

just to point out to those that may not know... I'm 19 so anything petrol over 2.0 is a definite no no, I know the puma is a hairdressers car but perhaps that's the reason the insurance isn't that bad, the insurance for a 1.6 mx5 is about double that of a 1.6 puma but I do like the mazdas more... but it'd have to be the base model mazda or mg, which is best out of the 2? I'd love to buy the hood back but I can only have one car and I'm doing up to 2000 miles a month so couldn't afford to eat... will have a look at fait coupe's and mr2's to see what they come out as but the fto, 200sx, mx6, 306gti and celica would all be a bit too much to insure tbh... keep the ideas coming :)

Guest salty_monk

Coupe will cost a bomb to insure... they go well though. MPG is pretty crap though.

The MX5 is a better car than the MG but the MG's aren't that bad either.

A 1.6 MR2 Mk1 is plenty cheap, plenty fun & can be insured on a classic policy these days. You can get a really good one from say 89 for about £1500 & prices are going up not down.....

Dan :)

Guest charlie

I run a SEAT LEON. X reg 1.9 tdi 50 mpg cruises all day well over the speed limit if you want to risk it

they come with 90 bhp, 100.110/or 150, so you can be seriously quick, and economical, and all the

mechanical bits are vw any way.i`v done 50.k and still enjoy it. as much as you need from a tin top.

Charlie

Guest chris brown

MX5 for me with MR2 second don’t touch a Fiat coupe with around 70K on the clock as a cambelt change (due at 72K)will cost about as much as the car again. MG nice looking but delicate engine.

I used to have a Seat Leon Tdi SE, great car, cheap tax (£115) and insurance(group 9ish).

110 bhp, discs all round, leather wheel, climate control, alloys, leccy windows + mirrors, sporty seats.

Only problem with it, was after a while I wanted the 150bhp one :D

Nick

i talked to an AA man about mgf and he said that they were prone to overheating. he suggested that this was because the engine wasnt dsesigned to go where it sits on the mgf; and this causes problems.

puma: i have a mate that has had one for about 4 years and he loves it. we did take the micky mercilessley for at least the first 3 and a half years till we got bored. (lots of photoshopped images of his car with mobile hairdresser adverts on, and even one real pic of a particular lady that used her puma for her business!) the car itself is good fun to drive he lent it to me once :D and they've held their value very well indeed for a ford.

mr2's seemed really pretty snug inside, but went like a go cart. just about the time to buy one.

i'd still get a quantum with a zetec!

paul