Norwich Failed

Guest MJThewlis

Guest MJThewlis

Tested yesterday and have the requisit 'to do' list to show for it!

1. Steering column upper mount of inadequate strength to ensure operation of a collapsible component - tester wants to see triangulation to the chasis beam which runs forward diagonally towards the pedal box.

2. Drivers mirror loose - within the pedestrian protection mechanism!

3. Fuel cap loose on seal - naff RH petrol cap and fabricated internal piece (can't complain too much as apparently I was loosing fuel on the way back when I was a bit braver with the car throguh the corners!)

4. Contactable edges on front suspension covered 'unsuitably' (pipe lagging). Wants to see something heat shrunk. Also the bottom adjustment nut on GAZ shock (C section cut outs) needs protecting and bottom of dummy macpheson strut need protection.

5. Lower seat belt inner mounts to point forward not sideways.

6. No grommet in the number plate cable / silicon in the protective sleave it did have on it!

7. Rear brake hoses need securing to brackets where they transition to flexible hoses at the top (as per the bottom rather than relying on just the standard pipe fixing parts

8. Hand brake fouling bolt on floor (schoolboy error but wan't impeding the working of it!)

9. Contactable edge on the rear view mirror (somewhat frustrating as was bought as compliant!)

10. Emissions test to be done (machine u/s so was left for the retest.

Can't help feeling disappointed and a little disenfranchised with the whole thing even though everying is do'able - just need to find motivation again to finish the ... thing.

On the bright side the car did however make the round trip to Norwich (140 miles) without missing a beat (if you exclude a couple of grounding out episodes on the back end! Reasonably happy with that since it had only been run up in the garage before the day.

Ho hum onward and upward ....

M.

Apart from the steering upper mount, sounds like a doss to do.

Is it just a matter of bolting some triangulation to get a pass?

I should not read these posts, got me thinking about my Series 3 with just a hoop holding the column up.

Not even a whole days work there so well done on a nearly pass.

Book retest first thing tomorrow morning. Fix it this weekend. Don't loose the momentum. You have climbed a mountain. Don't go all pathetic and have a turn 100ft below the summit cos you've hit a small setback. Get it done. The force is with you!

Nigel

Guest robinj66

Can you tell me a little more about item 5?

I'm assuming this relates to the mount nearest the transmission tunnel - what has to point forwards - the captive nut?

Guest Dee Jay
Tested yesterday and have the requisit 'to do' list to show for it!

1. Steering column upper mount of inadequate strength to ensure operation of a collapsible component - tester wants to see triangulation to the chasis beam which runs forward diagonally towards the pedal box.

2. Drivers mirror loose - within the pedestrian protection mechanism!

3. Fuel cap loose on seal - naff RH petrol cap and fabricated internal piece (can't complain too much as apparently I was loosing fuel on the way back when I was a bit braver with the car throguh the corners!)

4. Contactable edges on front suspension covered 'unsuitably' (pipe lagging). Wants to see something heat shrunk. Also the bottom adjustment nut on GAZ shock (C section cut outs) needs protecting and bottom of dummy macpheson strut need protection.

5. Lower seat belt inner mounts to point forward not sideways.

6. No grommet in the number plate cable / silicon in the protective sleave it did have on it!

7. Rear brake hoses need securing to brackets where they transition to flexible hoses at the top (as per the bottom rather than relying on just the standard pipe fixing parts

8. Hand brake fouling bolt on floor (schoolboy error but wan't impeding the working of it!)

9. Contactable edge on the rear view mirror (somewhat frustrating as was bought as compliant!)

10. Emissions test to be done (machine u/s so was left for the retest.

Can't help feeling disappointed and a little disenfranchised with the whole thing even though everying is do'able - just need to find motivation again to finish the ... thing.

On the bright side the car did however make the round trip to Norwich (140 miles) without missing a beat (if you exclude a couple of grounding out episodes on the back end! Reasonably happy with that since it had only been run up in the garage before the day.

Ho hum onward and upward ....

M.

It's not that bad, nothing that can't be sorted quite easeily, I thing the testers are somtimes determined to fail cars 1st time and see it as a bit of a challenge to find things wrong. I was told before the test started "no kit car's pass first time" and so passed on 3rd attempt.

Well done and good luck for next time!

Dave

Go for it Mat. Don't get despondent now (although I know it's easy). The rewards are well worth it.

As far as the steering column mount is concerned, I did this (probably OTT).

There's two tubes running forwards. These are mainly to make the pedal box rock solid.

In addition though, you can just see underneath, a third (smaller) one. This stiffens up the steering column mount.

Ignore the naff crosshead bolts - These were only temporary and were replaced later on.

post-1241-1188461738_thumb.jpg

I don’t think that is too bad a list. I’m sure all of us have despaired at one time or another during building / test, but get those few jobs done and you can enjoy the car for a while before Winter sets in. I bet other people have failed on the same things (I recognise at least 2 of them from my SVA) and the fixes to these problems are all on the site. Hope to hear of success in the near future. Brian

Guest MJThewlis
Can you tell me a little more about item 5?

I'm assuming this relates to the mount nearest the transmission tunnel - what has to point forwards - the captive nut?

It is the mount nearest the tunnel. I had mounted the belt so that it was running with the web parallel to the tunnel in a vertical plane tester requires this to run at 90 degrees the rational being it will pull less towards one end of the mounting plate.

My only concern is that it will then run very close to the seat rail but current thinking is I will run this so it passes back over the bolt (and protector) to put maximum distance for the belt to rise before that point.

Cheers, M.

Question on the self ammalgating tape - where do you get this from?

self amalgamating tape

or any electrical factor should have it....

especially good for the likes of the adjusters at the bottom of the shocks etc

I used it on all sharp surfaces and SVA quite happy as it gave a 'padded' surface