Rear Wishbone Conversion For 2b

speedtripledan

The camber on the sierra back end is easily corrected with camber wedges or the old oval racers trick of packing out some of the hub bolts with washers.

The sierra rear end is very heavy and if i was to do the job, i would make up a jig for the rear mounting points using the Haynes Roadster book, this would show you where the brackets need to go and whether you need to cut any major chassis tubes.

I though of this for my Series 3 but found that i would need to loose far to much of the rear sides and floor to make it practical

Guest chris brown

RHE did at one time produce a chassis with rear wishbones and it was sold by Lolocost (now Kit parts direct) which Richard at one time 2002 ish did say he would eventually make the 2B the same. But Richard being Richard went off in a different direction and did the Superspec, the sub K, the Rager, the Lightweight and then the ferrenzo. So he never got back to the 2B.

post-746-1236513655_thumb.jpg

Guest Tim Norman

Isn't that the way the zero went. I thought about it a long time ago. A fairly simple jig and a spare Sierra rear end is all that is required. ( he said in a flippant off hand sort of way :lol: )

I would love to be able to go that route and sort out the handling of Bobson properly. Front end still needs an anti roll bar as does the rear. But need a job, time, money, welding skills and a clear garage first.

Currently going through the garage and listing all the bits I have accumulated over the years that I no longer need.!!

If somebody does come up with a jig or way of doing the conversion though I am still very much interested.

Can anybody out there suggest a simple 3D CAD program a monkey can use :lol:

I have just bought the haynes book for that reason to see if its possible to do it.

Things that have been going through my head are, could i run a box section from one side to the other and then put the sierra swinging arms on it then box the diff in it does not get rid of all the sierra but it would get rid of that big tube.

then a thought could i make a frame that bolts to the chassis I think the xjs jag had somthing like that.

A few weeks ago there was a westy rear for sale on flee bay just the back bit with all the running gear on it, but it was too dear for a test to see if it was possible to do. the thing is that once you start welding bits back in you start adding weight again so Im not sure how much weight we would save , has any one checked to se how heavey the sierra lump weighs.

Paul

If you want to have a play with a simple cad program download google Sketchup for free. I think its amazing and it didnt take long to make some quite complex shapes even though ive never used a 3d program before.

As people have said id be tempted to use the seirra tube part at least as it would provide a good starting point. from which to weld onto. I havent seen the new build your own sportcar book but would be interested to see how they did it and wether it would fit with limited mods.

isn't there also too much toe-in on the seirra setup or can that be cured with wedges at teh same time?

Seems i,m not alone in my thinking.

I,m going to try and get a rear subframe off a sierra from some where and use the roadster book to see if i can come up with something. The whole idea is to save weight thus improve performance if the handling benefits then double bonus.

If at some point i do come up with something i,ll let you all know.

Dan

Guest bcsalt

Hi there

This is what I'm working on at the moment.

Have bought a set of rear uprights and wishbones (I think mine came from a Luego), and am currently working out how im going to put it all together!

It will involve a bit of work on the back panel to make it flat, and some mods to the transmission tunnel.

Will post some pictures when I have them....

Anybody else had a crack at this?

Guest qwerty_100
Hi there

This is what I'm working on at the moment.

Have bought a set of rear uprights and wishbones (I think mine came from a Luego), and am currently working out how im going to put it all together!

It will involve a bit of work on the back panel to make it flat, and some mods to the transmission tunnel.

Will post some pictures when I have them....

Anybody else had a crack at this?

Dan if you are interested i have a spare rear beam and arms that could be used for testing/modifying I am interested in this as I have just posted a thread re rear beam so any upgrade would be good thanks Kev.

hi i recently posted a question re the rear end in another section

the photos i think are a stuart taylor rear end ?

it looks like it will work , poss like the 5 link convertion for the english axle

locost001Medium.jpg

locost002Medium.jpg

locost003Medium.jpg

locost004Medium.jpg

locost005Medium.jpg

locost006Medium.jpg

Guest old_timbo

Actually the Sierra rear end, apart from its weight, works rather well. As the rear suspension compresses it builds camber and toe-in and since the 2B runs lower than a Sierra we have had to adjust the excess of these out with camber wedges and washers etc. However these are desirable features, when the car rolls in a corner it keeps the wheels upright = more grip, and the increased toe in improves rear end stability = what you want in a rear wheel dirve car. You can design a wishbone rear end to give the camber change feature, but the toe in part might be a bit of a head scratcher.

When hefting the Sierra bits around I was surprised how light the big tube was but staggered how heavy a hub, drum, trailing arm, drive shaft was. Most of this would be retained in a wishbone rear end so there is nothing much gained.

However the pressed trailing arms are ugly and heavy, so maybe lighter, fabricated replacements would be the best upgrade for the rear end.........and if they were designed right we wouldn't need camber wedges and washers.

Tim