Grounding Out

Guest Jameslark

Guest Jameslark

This subject has probably been covered before but being slightly ancient I can't find it. On a recent trip to France I knocked off the what can best be described as the brass coloured walnut whip that seems to cover the bush at the ends of the rear beam. I have attached a couple of photos. This was always grounding out and eventually gave up the ghost exiting a Eurotunnel train!! Just thinking that there is no need for this elongated object to be there and a flat plate would do exactly the same job. Not sure if it secures from the bottom or the top and looks more like the top so presume a large nut somewhere to the rear of the seat and then withdraw the bolt and washer remains and then bolt through a large flat washer type plate.

Has anyone else done this and am I correct in assuming a top fixing position? Any assistance greatly appreciated.

post-4676-0-76589300-1397717833_thumb.jpg

post-4676-0-01649100-1397717846_thumb.jpg

Guest Ian & Carole

6 mm plate with a length of threaded bar welded to it, is what you need.

Drop the old bolt out and remove as much of the Sierra beam as you can then put the new plate in and bolt it up, weld the 6 mm plate to sub frame, should give you around 15-20mm more clearance.

When we built ours we removed the "donut" and put a long bolt through and 11 years on the bolt head has just about been worn off.

#1 on winter to do list.

Popular mod in the oldendays. The 'rubber' beam mounting does indeed fit with a big bolt through it and a nut on top. There is a plate on the floor behind the seat to reinforce where the nut sits and it extends to support the outer rear swing arm bolt. An additional bolt often goes through the crossbeam into this plate effectively making the mounting solid so the beam 'rubber' bush is not providing a flexible mount. You can grind and carve this bush down and I welded a plate over it to the crossbeam, drilled the plate and converted it to solid mount also. A further guard plate supports the lower end of the bolt.

Nigel

Pic one shows the skid/support plate attached to the floor in front of the cross beam and a nut welded to its hole in the centre and the second bolt through the cross beam web. Both provide solid hold of cross beam to car.

Pic two just about shows the bush hole has been covered by a welded on capping plate (disabling the bush) and the skid plate supports the lower end of the main fixing bolt and a bit of my ugly mug.

post-21-0-33153500-1397722999_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-67244100-1397723014_thumb.jpg

If you followed Dickie's instructions you also drilled a hole in the beam just in front of the rubber bush,

opened it out with a chisel !!! & fitted a second safety bolt, locking it all solid.

post-71-0-24252000-1397725527_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bob Tucker

Guest JammyJim

Had same problem on my 2b I cut large cup that goes over bush down and welded large cup washer over it. if you look at my topic "rear end grounding" there are some photos before and after. not had a problem since.

Jim

Guest Jameslark

Thanks for all the advice chaps. Getting the flat variety made up and will be on the vehicle asap. Might help a bit with the very fine ((!!!) roads here in Kent. Not really roads merely a set of potholes with tarmac ribbons in between.

I used a sierra cosworth suspension top mount. Fitted beautifully and sat no lower than the dion tube. Will try and find a picture but it was something like this -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Front-Suspension-Top-Mount-Retainer-Plate-Fits-Ford-Fiesta-Sierra-/310852320477?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item48603dfcdd