Oil Pressure Sender

Guest Jameslark

Guest Jameslark

Just fitting new oil pressure gauge and sender but also adding an oil temperature gauge but keeping the oil warning light. Can I install them together via a t piece at the original oil warning light position or does the oil temperature sender need to go down to the sump plug. I have had conflicting advice one saying that the block will transmit heat and therefore a dud reading and another saying the sump temperature is not a true reflection of what is going on in the engine itself.

I presume putting sender with pressure sender will work but where gives the best reading?

Any help would be appreciated

• 4 weeks later...

oil temp in the sump is what counts unless an oil cooler is fitted.

Oil pump will add a bit to the oil temp but the far less than 1ºC due to this will not show up on your guage.

The peak temp that oil reaches in the engine is of interest to check for oil degradation, this could be either the oil in direct contact with the exhaust valve stem or the oil sprayed to cool the underside of the piston. Measuring either of these directly is hard.

So the temp in the sump or directly after an oil cooler is what is measured as over high temps here will give some warning of trouble.