Quadrant Tension Spring

Guest Friartuck

Guest Friartuck

Help required please

Looking for a tension spring 40mm x 18mm (actual spring measurement ex hooks) have seen a couple of springs on Fleabay but they do not quote size (have sent seller an enquiry) they are for Granada, Focus & look to be the same as mine

Does anyone know a good supplier as backup in case the Fleabay ones are not suitable

Ps. Mine snapped in half & by the looks of things is as old as the car (2006) fortunately I was 300 yards from home !!

Thanks in advance

Kevin

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Friartuck

Have added pictures - ok & broken, has fractured in the middle, would have thought the hooks would have snapped first?

Total length of spring (hook to hook) is 80mm

I guess a spring of the same length, but without the correct number of coils would not be suitable (strength wise)

post-14296-0-57883400-1527076644_thumb.jpg

post-14296-0-87888900-1527076659_thumb.jpg

All this spring is doing is taking any slack out of the cable and stops the clutch release bearing clattering (As it holds it against the clutch). As soon as you put your foot on the clutch pedal it engages a toothed part on the quadrant which then locks everything in place, the spring at this point is redundant. If the cable stretches over time the spring continues to take up the slack. A lesser weight spring should still work as long as it has enough pulling power to keep tension on the cable.

hth

Guest Friartuck

Have you tried your local Ford parts department? I believe the part number you want is 1591622

Spot on, walked into the parts dept & was advised the part was too old, as newer cars don't use this method

Anyway we agreed it probably was from a Sierra & after a butchers at his system located the part but none in stock...... however neighbouring Salisbury had 19!

Went back almost on closing expecting to see a spring that wasn't the correct part,but was pleasantly surprised that it was Bob on....result, purchased 2 for good measure

Happy days & thanks to contributors on this thread

Edited by Friartuck

"however neighbouring Salisbury had 19!"

I read that too quickly and thought thought for a moment you wrote 'Sainsburys' and wondered when they had started to stock old ford parts :crazy:

glad you got it sorted

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Friartuck

Not had a chance lately to tinker with car,but did have a look yesterday & I have discovered that the cable has come adrift on the clutch

Without jacking the car up,first impression is that the sump cover will need to come of to access?

The cable both ends look good, as in every thing present & no signs of damage, so not looking to replace it

Advice please

Thanks

there is a black 'boot' over the gearbox end of the clutch cable. It springs into the recess so should just pull out with a bit of a wiggle and a squeeze (of the boot that is).

You should be able to reach it under the car, i did mine the other day. The cable just hooks through a keyhole.

If you jack the car up make sure you have safety blocks so it can't drop on you as you have to reach under a fair distance.

hth

Guest Friartuck

there is a black 'boot' over the gearbox end of the clutch cable. It springs into the recess so should just pull out with a bit of a wiggle and a squeeze (of the boot that is).

You should be able to reach it under the car, i did mine the other day. The cable just hooks through a keyhole.

If you jack the car up make sure you have safety blocks so it can't drop on you as you have to reach under a fair distance.

hth

Thanks,are you saying I won't need to remove sump cover? Does your car have one fitted,just trying to establish what I need to do down under!!

oh sorry i didn't quite get what you were asking.

Sump covers aren't a standard feature so will be however the original builder made it.

I would guess it won't need to be removed as the cable joins at the bellhousing so it further back than the sump.

this is a pic i found on google to show how the cable attaches. The boot is not on this pic but just fits over all of that.

http://media.turbosport.co.uk/2004/5/200459194937488090.JPG