Duratec Anyone?

Mitch

Hi All

I had a ride over to order a new inlet manifold for the VX engine from A frame engineering in Barrowford Lancs yesterday, and got talking to the owner Mike,

He is now making bellhousings to suit the Duratec engine to the type 9 box which will have a hydraulic clutch.he thinks this is going to be a popular engine swop in the new few years.

Prices are not finalised but any one mentioning being a Hoodie will get a discount.

He can also get the brand new duratec engines direct from ford for £1200 should anyone want to go that way.

He still does the VX bellhousing as well as RS2000 ones and inlets to suit most engines.

http://www.aframeengineering.co.uk/

HTH

Mitch

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Mokum

The duratec should fit into the hood, how much work would be involved im not sure, certainly engine mounts would need to be fabricated, possibley swop from ford inj to a aftermarket type too.

Whats included not sure, he just said they were direct from Ford still in crates, maybe if you e-mail Mike direct he could answer you questions direct.

Mitch

I looked at it as a possible but didn't have the extra cash. I tend to end up buying many of the bits new and it was going to be 30% more than the zetec. Compared to the zetec for which you need ECU, manifolds, side-draughts or throttle bodies, clutch, plumbing, sump, starter and other bits, for the duratec you need all those plus a new bellhousing and duratec bits seem to be more expensive than zetec bits.

Slightly taller engine but probably a better engine and will be more common and cheaper in a couple of years. Might put one in my next project.

Nigel

(Sample price inlet manifolds. Zetec - £125, Duratec - £141. Both 65mm long and for twin DCOEs so why the difference from Burtons?)

Guest salty_monk

I'm guessing the price difference is because the Duratec is newer. All the people like Burtons are still trying to recover design & tooling costs for their parts whereas on the Zetec all that was recouped ages ago.... :)

Oh... & the other reason is... because they can! :lol:

Zetecs are far cheaper than Duratec, just thought i would mention it for anyone thinking of going down this line.

All the stuff i have had from A frame for the VX swop have been of high quality and cheaper than anywhere else i tried.

Mitch

Guest ScotMac

Duratec is definitely a more future oriented choice. They both (duratec and vetec) have fairly similar HP output, but the duratec is lighter.

In terms of price, yes some of the duratec stuff is not cheap. Note, though, ford is going to be putting these engines into more and more cars. Hence, they are going to be readily available in wrecking yards (you guys call them scrap yards?). eg, i got mine for $550. It is a 2005 w/ less then 10000 miles. And i had multiple choices (about 10 nationwide, and 3 in my area, at around that price). The engine is standard in the US version of the Ford Focus, which is very common.

In terms of parts, i found some mildly inexpensive stuff. I got the Jenvey direct-to-head individual TB's for 875 Euros, including linkages, fuel rail, *and* 90mm carbon fiber air horns. Considering the fact that it eliminates the manifold, it is a pretty good deal. I also got the ECU (w/ coil and wiring) for around $1000.

BTW, i dont know how much it matters if the engines come w/ the stock electronics. You obviously want the sensors, but the stock ECU is worthless...unless you are happy w/ 136hp for an engine that can easily put out about 210.

Guest ScotMac

It's going away quick...soon will have to beg for gas money to drive it!!! ;)

I figure i've spent about $7000, and the damn thing isn't scheduled to arrive til january 19th!!!! :gdit: :gdit: :gdit: