Alternator

Big Jim

Got the car out to give it a run today, and noticed that it wasn't charging, on testing, the bloody alternator has gone knackered, again!

It's getting repaired once more, but the guy says that the Lucas (Ford, Rover etc) alternators don't like getting too hot, 'cause the diod pack goes kaput if they do.

Guess where my alternator is? yep! right next to the Vauxhall exhaust. So.... what I'm looking for, is one of those right little buggers that I can fit instead.

What do they fit them on then? anyone know?

And remember, in true Hoodie tradition, i don't want to pay a lot for one! ;)

can ya move it down like on some of the pintos,below the steering shaft??

i need to do this on mine as it gets bloody hot next to the exhaust!!!!!!

do ya just make a new support?

if you cant move it enough, how about extending the cabling and moving the regualtor/diode pack to a more suitable position

i have been sort of lookin at this on mine, the alt is very close to the pinto manifold, but i cant go lower as the join in the steering columb is in the way

if i move the pack at the end it would miss by a mile

we've got a mazda 323 at the station for cutting up,could whip the alty off that for you if you want to try it
what's that like Steve, is it a small one?
can ya move it down like on some of the pintos

it'll not go down much more, and it's a couple of inches away from the ex manifold. If I'm to remake the bracketry, then I'd like to try a different type of alternator entirely.

Favourites are Diahatsu Charade, Bedford Rascal or the suzuki equivalent van (most florists have one).

I though the Bedford rascel was a possiblity, do they have multi V belt pulleys? and can you fit an ordinard single V pulley to one?

Guest Bazwaz

Hi Jim.

As you know i have the same set up as you. I mounted mine under the carbs, i just needed to make up a bracket to lift it up a bit. Failing that could you use some exhaust wrap to keep things a bit cooler.

Barry.

It looks like i'm going to be going the Rascal way then, but not in a hurry, as the Lucas one will be repaired and refitted meanwhile, whilst a 'baby' one becomes available, and I've made up new brackets etc.

I don't think that I could get mine back onto the RH side of the engine Barry, but will look at making a sheild for it from the exhaust, not using wrap, I don't like that stuff.

Guest yosamite sam

you could try adding some cheap ally sheet bent to act as a heat barrier - bolt it to the exhaust manifold bolts so it between the alternator and manifold - mines very close and thats on my list of to do's! the plastic cover on the back has started to melt! but is fine so far - i'm on my 3rd alternator - friend of mine has gone through 5!! one common theory is it wasnt designed for the higher revving that sports cars are pumping into it.. dunno if i agree with that - my theory is its just 25 year old technology and as such needs updating..

Dear Mr Stott,

you may find the standard alternator will fit.

Dear Mr Holden, Sir,

Unfortunately it won't, the Vauxhall alternator is made so that you can't alter it to suit either hand, (tried it last night)

Alternatively I have a nice nippon denso one....................

Ah! but! isn't that hanging on that poorly engine of yours? you know the one that you said you'd fix about 6 months ago! Something about water & oil mixture? porus head etc?

I certainly don't want to give you any cause for getting any slower in your duties, I know that you cut a lump out of your hand so that you couldn't attack it over Christmas, but once that's better, we expect it getting done, Sir!

Anyway, I'm very hopeful that Uncle Tony may come to the rescue, fingers crossed. ;)

On the subject of heat shielding I once had a TR7 and there was a silvered heat shield witha couple of springy clips that actually cliped onto the exhaust pipe to keep the heat back, it appeared tobe made from a brittle substance akin to asbestos cement or similar, it just pulled off for maintenance jobs <_<