Sva

Guest bloke

car was tested and had six fail points

1 fuel pipe not marked for injection

2 boot lid fabric only

3 steering column bracket needs bracing at bottom to stop forward/ backward motion in impact

4 pedal box needs bracing as twist observed

5 small amount of full beam when lights on dip (not sure how to fix this)

6 alternator wire needs sheath and fog light bulb not working

well happy it passed my test of getting there and back with a 'small' snag list

the glass is definately half full (but will be empty tonite!! ;) )

also not an issue at test but shes running very lean (emissions 0.22)

car was tested by a thourough inspector who was very fair and spent time explaining the regs (and making a couple of brews) spot on servcie (shrewsbury)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear - but not too big a list eh?

I guess that Items 3 & 4 can be addressed in one.

Here's a pic of what I did.

Note the two hefty braces and a third (which you should just be able to see) fixed lower down.

But bear in mind, I've not had my SVA yet! :rolleyes:

Guest paul thompson

with the headlights, are you sure he isn't looking at dim dip? this is half dipped headlights when you have the side lights on and the ignition on, I think, someone will correct me. Never heard of a small amount of full beam before, it usually either on or off.

Guest STEVE OXON

ah. good result, less than my first test, andeasier to sort by the sounds of it.

made my top column support from 1/8 gauge plate with struts no movement there.

keep at it.

steve

Guest Ian & Carole

Well done Steve.

Six faults is a really good result.

Most people would settle for that first time round!!

At least you now know exactly what you need to do to get your pass'

Make sure that you over strengthen your bracing to ensure that all movement is removed.

The dim light might just be a bad earth, try putting a new lead direct from the bulb to earth, quick check and might just cure it.

Not bad eh for a "BLOKE" who was going to give it all up!! :D

A good weekends work and you should be ready for a re-test!! :(

Once again well done

Ian J

Hi Bloke not bad for first test nothing to serious like the others said just a weekends work.Get stuck in and get it back for a retest . Good luck next time.

Bernie ;) :D

The headlight problem is probably the usual faul were the wires have got crossed, so on dip, what you actually get is dip & main at the same time, this means that only 6v power through each filament, have a look here for the correct wiring (and it's the same if it's halogen or sealed beam.

Wow, that's not bad at all! Well done. If I come back next Thursday from Shrewsbury with a list like that I'll be well pleased!

(PM me if you have any last minute tips about what they take issue with at Shrewsbury...ta)

Richard B)

Here's a pic of what I did.

Note the two hefty braces and a third (which you should just be able to see) fixed lower down.

But bear in mind, I've not had my SVA yet!  :rolleyes:

Those braces look very pretty but I'd suggest fixing them with hardened bolts (M8 8.8), not those soft galvanised roofing bolts you have there. There's not much point using hefty braces if the bolts would shear in an accident.

PS, Well done, Bloke, you'll be rolling before you know it.

Guest Battery Bill

Steve

OK Thanks. I'm convinced. I normally over-engineer things but I'll go with the consensous

That quote will come back and Haunt you for years :lol: :lol: :lol: :p

Oh yes well done Steve, soon be there :D :D

Well done. Thats almost a pass. Very small list of easy things to fix. Sounds like a well presented well built car. Steering column and pedal box bracing is a RH design fault and there are plenty of easy ways to fix once you know it needs fixing! Others are very minor points you could fix in your lunch hour.

What's with the fabric boot cover. Did you just have a mini tonneaux cover over a big hole?

Nigel.

fuel pipe not marked for injection

what does this mean - marked how / where???

boot lid fabric only

I was going to do this for SVA and build in a boot later - ho hum another job for the never ending ever expanding list :(

fuel pipe not marked for injection

what does this mean - marked how / where???

boot lid fabric only

I was going to do this for SVA and build in a boot later - ho hum another job for the never ending ever expanding list 

On injection engines, the fuel pipe is under more pressure so needs to be capable of holding said pressure, therefor needs to be marked as such.

The boot needs to be either covered in a "solid" lockable cover, or have no cover at all, but then you're into the sharp edges etc. etc for what's on the boot space.

(note: This is my understanding, I'll bow down to CONFIRMED alternative knowledge)

jim, youre right and ta for the advice re wiring (will check cos thought i followed this diagramme in the first place but looks like i went wrong somewhere/ will also check earth ta Ian J)

- the boot lid is on an external part of the car so needs to be semi ridgid (more hardboard! - will sew into fabric 'tonneaux' cover), ive used velcro to lock the boot lid

-the pipe needs bar rating marked on it or from manufacturer to prove its sutible for injection over the long term

any one know a good supplier (pref internet)?

ta all for words of encouragement - can't wait till she's on the road (car that is not the wife!) and for the pic grizzley im looking to do something similar

yesterday, when the inspector was driving my car around the car park, i saw my car for the first time!!

not the collection of a thousand jobs, uncertainties, a few mistakes and bits i thought id done well that i beleived made up the car

enforcer you will have pm soon, how you getting on?