Enforcer's Sva

enforcer

Well folks it's been a memorable morning. Suffice to say the car didn't pass, but then I knew it wasn't going to - I had run out of time in the end and did not get round to finishing the demister system, it wasn't up to the job so fair enough.

Having said that I cannot fault my examiner, Stuart and his Inspector. Both were very friendly and helpful - much of the time was spent chatting over mugs of coffee.

Fail points are as follows:

1. Screen demisting system (knew that one) :wub:

2. Use of self-adhesive cable tie mounts not acceptable - need to be araldited :mellow:

3. Fuel pipe chafing slightly on boot floor :unsure:

4. Headlight aims out (had been set by MOT tester) :wacko:

5. Couple of contactable edges - front of mudguard bracket and lip of boot lock! Also on the gear knob!

6. Seat belt bolt coverings a little too temporary! :lol:

7. Lower edge radius of dash

8. Speedo - fine at 50 and 70 but reading 1mph out at 35 mph. Stuart suggested that such a tiny amount could equate to the tyre pressures (I had 28 psi on the rear). Will run at about 17 psi for the re-test and this should be fine.

9. Declared gross weight is less than the calculated maximum gross weight. Apparently I have declared 950 kg instead of 1050 kg (Schoolboy error) Can put this right with a written declaration by me of the true gross weight :wub:

10. Lolocost supplied nylon fuel pipe - documentary evidenced required to show suitability for use. :unsure: I have already phoned RHSC and am waiting for a call back. Stuart said that a letter from Lolocost would not be enough, it needed something from the manufacturer.

And that was it! Mirrors fine, brakes fine, exhaust fine (94db!). They said some very nice things about the build and all in all I have no issues with the result whatsover. I hope Lolocost can provide the evidence as to replace the fuel pipes would be a nightmare.

By the way, the examiners do browse this forum - Stuart asked me if I was 'enforcer' and said it was clear that I had made good use of the forums to ensure the best chance of passing!! You have been warned!

I had a wonderful drive home (long scenic route) and stopped to take a photo or two in the Severn Valley. Thanks again everyone for your help and best wishes.

Richard ;)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest STEVE OXON

good try,

best of luck with retest,and another 30 quid!!!

shouldnt take you long to sort out,afew evenings maybe.

bet youre glad you took the long way home. helps bed things in a bit

cheers steve

bad luck Richard

the list doesn't sound too bad, just hope you can get the info for the fuel pipes ok.

seems a bit off when you can use 8mm microbore copper heating pipe and get a pass but get a fail for using plastic fuel lines

Steve

the first long run is good isn't it!

Guest TerryBarry

Hard Luck - that list could be a lot longer

Hope they accept the nylon pipe - I've used 10mm nylon pipe with liquid propane/butane at 60+ psig.

Headlight aim problem could be that the suspension has settled during the run.

Well done, only minor things really.

few nights and it will be sorted.

I have nylon fuel lines too, bought from local car spares shop,wasnt a issue for me.

Maybe better asking RHSC who they buy from and asking them direct, will be quicker than getting a letter from them.

Oh, hi to Stuart the tester too, :D ;). We know they look on here, but its the first time they have asked to put name to face.

Mitch

Yep those are the RH mirrors - passed without any problem!

It wouldn't be the end of the world if the fuel pipe was no good - as long as I could source some similar sized but SVA compliant pipe it wouldn't even mean disturbing the P clips. Would take a bit of amateur gynaecology to fit though! :p

When the MOT tester set the headlight aim he said because they were sealed beam units they had to be aligned on main beam only. I assumed he was right... but clearly not! They were also aiming off centre too. Oh well. At least the examiner told me not to worry about this: we would set them up during the re-test. Can't say fairer than that. ^_^

Guest chris brown

Hard luck Richard but as others have said all except the fuel pipe should be easy fixes and you never know Lolocost may come up trumps - But don’t hold your breath.

BTW car looks fantastic.