Rear Axle Assembly

Guest docter fox

Guest docter fox

I'm going to pick up the rear axle assembly off a 2.0 4x4 on sunday, but have to take it off myself and I've gone and "misplaced" the haynes manual somewhere, it's a bit late to tidy the garage tonight so could anybody offer some info as the best way to remove the whole lot (rear beam with diff, driveshafts and disk brakes ), as I'm guessing there will be things like an exhaust in the way on the sierra I didn't build it so didn't have the fun of stripping the donor, how long a job is it?

will I need anything other than a socket set and a hammer? :D

Guest docter fox

couple of jacks and axle stands along with a few chunks of wood and other such tools are now in the car

is it simply a case of support it on axle stands, undo all the bolts and kick the axle stands out the way? :rolleyes:

James

Be aware that this lot weighs a ton! It's only held up by half a dozen bolts though. You can leave the rear wheels on and then jack it up. Once you've released all the bolts you can then lower the jacks and wheel the rear axle assembly out from underneath.

From memory you need to do the following:

1. Detach (or cut) handbrake cables

2. Remove prop shaft

3. Undo rear brake flexis

4. Undo bolts holding rear diff mount

5. Undo rear shocks lower mounting bolt

6. Undo mounting plates for the 'Dion' tube on either side of the car

7. Get out of the way before it all falls on your head! :lol:

Guest docter fox

thanks for that :) I'll be ready to roll out the way :lol:

get the back of the car as high as possible with axle stands on the sills, jack up the axle assembly to support it, undo bolts and then carefully lower it down nice and slowly :lol:

Guest FIRSTBUILD

when I took mine out it took a long time to jack it up high eough and less time to get it off , I reckon with no dodgy bolts about 90 mins should do it BUT it is heavy !! watch your self --- if its poss why not push it on its side ?

Steve

Guest docter fox

*bleep*s! the guy has just cancelled on me :gdit: (it's a private thing not a scrap yard)

the car he was buying is no longer for sale so he's using the sierra for a bit longer :angry: so I now have to find him a car before I can get the axle ;) I know it's not his fault but it is annoying...

Guest Pilch

Sounds like you are swapping an existing axle for the 4x4 one?? If so aren't the handbrake cables different (?) so you will probably need that too

Guest docter fox

yeh the ends of the cables are different on the drum brakes to the disk brakes but I'm hoping that should be easy to bodge together? in comparison with taking it off :D

Guest chris brown
I'm hoping that should be easy to bodge together?
BODGE!!!! hoodies don’t bodge things they reengineer things and by the way this is how Jim reengineered (OK bodged) his. :p :p :p B) :wub: Now waiting for fire and brimstone from a north westerly direction :wub:

this is how Jim reengineered (OK bodged)

Say's the bloke who cut his cable and fitted a couple of little U bolt things from aeriel chimney lashing kits.

Just to let your know Sir Chris, that's called "SWAGING" ^_^