Lightweight Help

BigLee

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest zoomzoom

Hi

been watching the build dvds and just noticed that my diff is different to the one they fitted. Mine has bolt in drive shafts and is a 7.5 inch??, now does anyone know is it gonna fit? or am i going to be on ebay for the next few days!!

p.s. i got my kit off ebay aswell , part built and not a complete starter kit :boohoo: so any help will be most welcome !!! :D

Anyone know what robin hood are like when it comes to getting odd parts as i need some bits which are normally in the kit and of course the bits which are not in the kit (exhaust,loom,engine mountings seats etc). I will be ringing them tomorrow :(

Guest salty_monk

You sure it's 7.5"? That's a Granada Diff.

Looking at Warwick's build photo's it's pretty obvious a 7.5" won't fit without modification they are on here somewhere, do a search, Scotmac posted them.

There is a 7" Sierra diff with the bolt on Lobro joints, most are LSD but some aren't... so you could be lucky. Easiest way to tell is 7" has a through bolt for tope mounting 7.5" has two blind bolts, one either side...

Dan :)

Guest stu205
There is a 7" Sierra diff with the bolt on Lobro joints, most are LSD but some aren't...

an even if you get one that isnt there are kits avalible to convert them

Guest warwick7735

Hi all

My diff is 71/2inches and they supply the bits for that diff.

With regards to getting bits from RH, well lets just say find the nearest wall and start banging your head against it.

happy rivetting

Warwick :D :D

Guest salty_monk

I don't think it is.... looks like 7" diff to me... Can't be 100% sure, need a picture from the other end. Has it got a through bolt or 2 blind ones?

DiffMedley.jpg

In this pic the 7" is on the left, 7.5" is on the jack, proportions don't look right in your pic to be a 7.5"

As from memory it's only the mounting that is different & now looking closely at Warwick's picture you should be able to make the 7.5" fit, may have to cut bigger holes for the Lobro's though... Are the driveshafts the same length as the 7" I wonder & is it all the same effective "centre to hub" width when assembled...

Guest ScotMac

I have 7" in my "car", and a 7.5 sitting in my shed, and (now) have both the lobro shafts *and* the push-in ones (tho one of the joints is bad on my "new" push-in shafts!!!).

So, when i get home, i'll check it out (see if it will fit).

BTW, the address for Warwicks fotos is:

http://scotmac.com:8080/locost/warwick.build.lw/index.htm

The second one clearly shows the diff. Sorry Warwick, but it does look like a 7". I'll confirm that tonight also.

Cheers, -sm

Guest ScotMac

BTW, (yes, i am hijacking a thread AGAIN) in terms of that bad joint on the push-in shafts, the behavior is that when i try to move it thru some range of motion, it binds up. I took off the boot, and tried to look inside, but couldn't see much. However, there appears to be a plastic seal immediately on the inside, and *maybe* (I hope) this is what is catching???

Anyway, how much work is it to rebuild the joint? I guess i'll have to get out my (also newly acquired) sierra haynes manual.

Thanks, -sm

Guest salty_monk

It's definitely a 7"... See here http://scotmac.com:8080/locost/warwick.build.lw/index.htm

A through bolt not two blind bolts. Should be the 3.62 if it came from the Estate.

Looking at it again & the two comparison pics on the Sierra Forum... if it will fit it's going to be a tight one!!

Scott, I don't think you can rebuild those joints as such, I think they are a straight swap job. I think if you get them apart with brute force then they can't be reassembled. Just from memory though so I may be wrong.

All the motor factors in England will do a joint kit for these I'm sure, debatable if you can get one here but if you're quick we may be able to ask Drewsus to bring you one out.... He's coming out here in 2 weeks time. Let me know.

Guest ReadingTrev

Hi,

Not sure if it's any help, I have some very clear diff photo's on my Lightweight build site (click below), I am quite happy to measure anything if required. The photo taken from above of the diff, gives you an idea of the off set of my 7" diff, installed as per the RHSC instructions.

Hope it helps,

Trevor.

Guest zoomzoom

Many thanks for the help

the 7.5 diff is bigger than the 7'' ,but i might be able to get a 7'' lsd type so this might solve my problem.

The pictures have been a great help, the 7.5 diff looks a bit tight in my car but the mounting holes seem to be in the correct position. I don't have the long bolts or spacers yet to trial fit it , but with any luck i'll have the 7'' lsd by then, and it wont be a problem ;)

marcus

Guest warwick7735

Hi

Well your right, bit concerned now because I was told it was out of a RS cossie as I wanted an LSD, but can see that if that was true it would be the 7 1/2 inch :boohoo: .

I assume and hope it's out of another car, maybe XR4 or similar which had LSD fitted. I paid £150 for it.

Warwick

Guest ScotMac

Still could be an lsd, even tho it is a 7", Warwick. However, i don't know a quick way of determining that...anyone?

In terms of the 7.5", i believe it will fit. It appears that the positioning of the mounting bolts is the same, the 7.5" is just a bit wider (in fact, i have seen people quote that you can put a 7" in a space made for 7.5" by just adding a few washers). So, you may simply need to cut the RH supplied spacers a bit. As far as the lobro joints, they will fit fine thru the RH cut holes (i have them in mine right now, as i was waiting for the push-in to arrive). Since my diff box is now fully closed, i can't be totally definite on this, but it looks like it would work.

Cheers, -sm