Lightweight Help

BigLee

Guest ScotMac

Warwick, take a look at that diff article that Grim referenced. It gives a way of determining the exact diff via the tag (if urs has the tag).

I took a look at the dimensions of the 7.5" a bit more. The outside dimensions of the actual diff enclosure for it is about 10" x 10". The width of the lightweight's diff box is 12", so that shouldn't be much of a problem. However, the height of the l/w's diff box is only 10". Could be a tight fit.

Cheers, -sm

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ScotMac

BTW, some of the 7.5" have the 108mm lobros, instead of the 104's. The 108's might be a bit more difficult to get out the l/w diff box holes...ie, might require a bit of filing/cutting.

Guest warwick7735

Scot

Unfotunately cant see the tag now as its buried in the depths of the car. Will have to wait and see if it is an LSD when I start giving it some welly.

Warwick

Guest Nishka

IIRC you should be able to check if it is an LSD by jacking up the back and turning one wheel.

As long as the propshaft is fixed, if the diff is an LSD the 'free' wheel should turn in the same direction as you are turning the wheel.

On a free diff the 'free' wheel will turn in opposite direction.

I will check this out for you if you like I have both a 'free' and and an LSD diff.

HTH

Nishka

Guest salty_monk

You can also count the turns relative to rotations at the propshaft to get the ratio, it's pretty obvious when done this way if you mark them up with chalk or tippex...

Dan :)

Guest zoomzoom

I was told that all lsd have bolt in drive shafts, and that 7'' and 7.5'' diffs were fitted to cossies, going to collect the 7'' lsd tonight so hope will fix my problem !!

All i need to do now is ring RH again (rang twice already) and see if they can supply the mounting bolts and all the other bits i need

Guest salty_monk

There were some non LSD with bolt in driveshafts too... (from late model cars with traction control)

No LSD with Push-ins unless it's aftermarket or converted.

warwick i noticed you have not used a sierra master cylinder can i ask what type you have used and what model car it is from I decided to get my finger out and press on with the build the seat back panel and rear section now in place :D

Guest warwick7735

DRC7

HI I got it from Caterham Cars, £120 plus postage which if I remember was about £8.

Fitted straight on to the RH pedal box.

Hope that helps

Warwick

Guest zoomzoom

now have 7'' lsd so its full speed ahead (if i had the fixings!!)

Anyone know of a good place to source the mounting bolts etc, apart from Rh that is !

Scotmac is the customer care at RH lacking or do you think i have upset someone there ?? :o

Guest salty_monk

It's lacking & well documented for it :rolleyes:

I think you only need bolts & spacer tubes, isn't that all the fitting kit is? If so shouldn't be that hard to sort out.

Guest ScotMac

If you've upset someone, then i, and many others, mustve upset them also!!! ;)

Yes, it is mainly just a spacer tubes and washers, along w/ the thru bolts themselves. As Warwick has said numerous times on this thread, it is impossible for us to actually measure the spacer tubes, now that we have the back of the car done!!! ;) Maybe someone who is still in the process of putting theirs in??? Actually, i'll take a look at the dvd's...Michael and ??? often say the size the parts before they use them.

Cheers, -sm