Whats Needed Off Donor

Guest dazz

Guest salty_monk

You have pretty much covered it for a 2b...

Complete rear axle.

You also need the wiring Loom (unless you get the VG loom), engine mounts, Indicator stalks, horn, & pedal box. Maybe also the steering column too (not sure on that one... also think steering rack is supplied too)

Have you thought about picking up a "part built". Sometimes cheaper...

Dan

Keep the donor on the drive until you have the kit finished. There are so many little bits that you will throw away if you don't have a complete donor. Also gives you a good clue of how things go together.

I speak from experience, i bought my part started kit with all donor parts stripped, and i could still do with a sierra on the drive now.

If you are looking for a donor make sure you get a runner.

Guest TerryBarry

Here's a list of what I got rid of :

Body Shell & Doors - keep all weather strips and seals

Bonnet -keep bonnet catch assembly

Tailgate- keep gas struts

Front Lights & Indicators

Rear Light Clusters -keep rear number plate lights

All Glass

Radiator

Bumpers

Exhaust

Propellor Shaft - KEEP the four bolts from differential flange

Soft Trim - some bits could be useful

Rear Seat

Front seats - if you are not going to use them

I did keep every nut; bolt; fastener; washer & bracket that came off - Just in case :rolleyes:

Here's a picture of the remains going - I have since realised that I should have removed the lock cylinder from the drivers door - later needed for a Fiesta :wub:

post-4-1143287587.jpg

Guest Petemate

DEFO keep the wiring harness, ALL of it, even if you get a VG loom. I bought mine part-built, and the previous owner had a kit with an Autosparks loom. Fine - except there was no engine harness for the ESCII system. Richard Sumner from the Herts group to the rescue with an engine harness & the relays. Two days with it all on the lunge dining table and with the help of the Haynes leccy pages, all spliced in. Thanks to a fellow Hoodie (I think it was Dave Castle) for being a guinea pig, and it all worked.

Pete

Guest Ian & Carole

Keeep every thing but the shell and glass!!

I even cut a big chunk out of the roof and kept that just in case, and used it all plus some to re make some badly fitting hood supplied bits and to make up the occasional infill panels. you will be supprised how much you do use.

IanJ

Guest Alan_builder

LOOKS LIKE YOU ALL MAY HAVE MISSED THE HANDBRAKE AND INSRTRMENTS FROM YOUR LIST OF BITS REQUIRED. PETROL TANK IF USING THE DONOR ONE AND FILLER TUBE FOR MOST INSTALLATIONS. BRAKE PEDALS BOX AND SERVO. SOME KITS REQUIRE THE SPRINGS AND MAC STRUTS. THE STERING RACK WAS REQUIRED IN OUR KITS.

STRIP THE CAR GET RID OF THE BODY AND EXHAUST WITH REAR SEATS. uSE THE DRIVERS SEAT WHILE BUILDING EVEN IF YOU HAVE OTHERS FOR THE FINAL CAR.

I :wub: MY RH

Guest chris brown

I go along with Alan. If it can be removed from the body remove it and keep it as things can be thrown away later but its a right pain when you want that little clip or whatever that you know was on the donor but you didn’t think you would ever need so didn’t remove it and now you are searching for an alternative or its down the scrapies and find one.