Progress

Guest docter fox

Guest docter fox

which panels do you mean? I was intending to use a zinc based primer on the monocoque tub and some sort of plastic primer on the nosecone and rear arches? (I'm gonna get carbon fibre look-a-like cycle wings) or do you mean the paint is flaking off the metal panels with flexing?

any other tips or info will be gratefully appraciated :)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest docter fox

in reference to the angle iron, the smallest we had was 40mm n 3.6 thick, I'll try and get a pic of the underneath but I've been assured that it should be plenty strong enough :ph34r:

Guest salty_monk

I meant the metal panels. Dunno about the S7 but the side panels of the 2b & scuttle etc is quite flexible & it's there that that the paint is suffering...

Just a thought..... something to consider. Pretty sure you can use "plastic primer" on metal ok.

Dan :)

Guest docter fox

had a chat to the guy about it and he thought it would be ok with etch and then cellulose primer

I went for night blue in the end, but saw a bright orange MNR with carbon wings on leaving and it did look good ;)

different moniters show it as slightly different but here it is...

RAL5022_nachtblau.jpg

Guest salty_monk

Either it's my machine or that's some huge picture....

Be interesting to see how your paint stands up. Hope you don't get what I've got. The paint on mine isn't particularly "thick". I don't think he laid down that many coats. Nice finish though.

Dan :)

Guest docter fox

the picture is only about 200 pixels sqaure, how big is it for you?

I'm hoping it'll stand up quite well, just been told to do lots of think coats and try not to rush :unsure:

Guest salty_monk

Yes, lots of thin coats are best. Lay down 2 coats with about 2 minutes between them, then wait half hour then 2 more. At 6 let it go hard over night & then in the morning flat it back with 1200 wet & dry then start again...

My college lecturer would say 12 thin coats was about optimum... depends how much paint & time you want to use though!! You can certainly get away with less :D

I would say mine probably only has a couple of coats on it...

Guest docter fox

I'll just stick to what I'm good at :D when I find it anyway :lol:

I'm hoping to get quite a bit done today, I've invited a few friends over and I've just spent 5 quid on iced fingers :lol:

theres a party round the corner from me tonight and everyone is coming here to get ready, I'm not sure they yet realise they'll be given a paintbrush, spanner or bit of sandpaper :lol: :D B)

Guest Bob's Babe

From what I remember about the students i knew.......many decades ago :(

I wouldn't trust them to wash my car, let alone give them a spanner or sand paper and let them near it :rolleyes:

Either you have a higher quality of student these days......

my lot would have been drinking the house dry whilst getting ready to go out B)

.....or you are a very trusting guy :huh:

SUE :wub: