Calling All Lightweighters And Interested Parties

Guest diyer

I may not be a "member" but I have witnessed, and to a degree helped in the building of a lightweight. And I am a car builder myself and believe that whatever car from whatever manufacturer you are building we all are a bunch of likeminded petrol heads and should do our best to help each other. Fair play to Simon for at least trying to get something going, As already said he has got his MAC so to me it makes it even more of a feather in his cap for suggesting this.

No one has asked for funds, Just discussion.

Steve. (Not a Member)

Edited by stevec

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All panels are bonded and the back tube is square (panicked and shot to garage :wacko: ) I had already put extra steel under the roll bar and supports before Trevs problem.

I just feel persanolly that if I put a bit of angle iron bolted to the square tubes and run towards the front picking up the inner seatbelt mount mr SVA would be happier :)

I know I have a lot further to go than some L/w's but hopefully throwing these ideas around will help all. :)

Guest chris brown
check out this link i think its interesting and may be of help

graham

If that welding is half as good as he makes out then it is fantastic but to do any quantity of it I suspect it may be expensive. But certainly worth trying.

hi chris ordered it today ,

l will you know if anygood

regards graham

ps if any lightweight builders want to meet to discus the prob please contact me or indeed anyone with an interest

Guest zoomzoom

Hi

That looks very interesting as i'm hopeless at welding and this could be just what i need to fit a fuel pickup to my fuel tanks. I need a fuel exit pipe fitted to the tanks as i not going to use the RH fuel sender/pickup do you think this will work??

Also, Graham where are you thinking of using this? to join panels together or to fix extra strenghters to the chassis?

Marcus

Guest chris brown

Just be very careful Baxter fur and blowlamps don’t go well together I'd hate to see you bald (one of us with very little hair is enough :wacko: :wacko: ). You could get Spencer to do it and stand well back I suppose. If it is really as easy to use as it appears then you should have no problems at all.

pps marcus

sorry went of half cocked the easy weld can be used to join alloy,pratice first!!!remember any heat on external surfaces will blemmish the surface finnish finnish . to overcome some of the lightweight probs i am using 2 inch box and bonding and riviting brackrts to the box .

also ordered today some 5 mm alloy to serve as base below seats also to mount seat belts, both sides ,

5mm alloy to brace both handbrake assay and gear box mount.

5mm alloy to extend under roll bar bent same angle as roll bar and down to boot floor .

bonded and riveted , bolted where i think it needs it.

3mm boot lid , with 5mm plates under roll bar supports all alloy

i spoke to sva man today whilst he cannot comment on something unseen he says if it is fit for purpose it should be fine ,

alloy is ok

Guest keithscc362

Nice one Graham,

The Ally welding looks great,

I intend to close the top box section and ladder frame the side's to provide pick up points for the harnesses.

as well as the mods you mentioned for the roll bar and replacment of rivets with bolts.

I am at present making bobins to sit inside the box sections so I can bolt right through.

Still cant see the light at the end of the tunnel :wacko:

but im told thats part of the fun :rolleyes:

keith.

kieth

the bobbins sound fine so as not to squash the box section.

you could however just over drill one skin of the box insert a spacer the corect length then place alarge plate washer over the hole and bolt through the washer, spacer , and box as one unit , no squashed box.

regards graham

Guest keithscc362

Hi Graham,

I had'nt thought of it that way sounds good,

have you got as far as seats there isnt much room in there was just wondering what you had in mind.

anyway well done with the 2b, one down one to go.

keith.

Guest zoomzoom

Well done on passing sva Graham :D :D :D and good luck in the 2b.

Will put in an order for the weld and use it on my tanks.

At the moment i'm not having much time to work on the car but hope to go to the factory tomorrow and then complete my plans for adding to the chassis to pass sva.

Marcus

hi keith

regards the seats ifitted cobra roadster sevens i think they were about £500 (gulp) , apart from the special made to suit seats or the rhsc planks! these seemd the best i will post a photo of them fitted (seems along time ago now when they were in ). a point to bear in mind is that with all the probs, some have spoken about adding a box section along the floor , if you do the sevens wont fit, i had to beat mine up with a soft head hammer to get them in .

post-1622-1160165538_thumb.jpg

for those who didnt get to the rhsc sale , it wasent realy a sale prices seemed the same as locost,

lightweight will not be continued ,may be lightweight mk2 but no plans to do so at this time.

in excess of 110 kits sold

my guess is 70% may may be completed = poss 77 completed, depending on build quality and kits just being scraped how many will hit the road.

this should make the completed ones rarer and poss more desirable.

i have a big mouth and have asked questions of rhsc regards the lightweight prob .

richard is happy to answer questions re lightweight build probs .

his answer is 2 have passed sva . my view regarding the return and exchange of the lightweight for a 2 b.

i as others have seen the lightweight , it is on show at rhsc, my personal view is it should have a sign on it

THIS IS NOT HOW TO BUILD A LIGHTWEIGHT AND EXPECT TO PASS AN SVA

this is my personal view!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and my spelling is crap as well

i still think that the lightweight builders need to exchange info re mods

i have spoken to some that think we need engeniring an a scale to rival a sherman tank.

its a lightweight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the design is good just because 1 failed lets not all panic.

have any more failed or have we all panicked

best regards graham

ps i know i have a big gob