Removing Servo

Guest tom2b

I am finding my brakes are too good on my 2b, they are only the standard sierra discs on the front with drums on the back. It is far too easy to lock them up without even trying, the front left seems to like doing this in particular :o ! I have heard of people removing the servo, is this recommended and if so whats the best way to go about it?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've ditched the Servo on the recommendation of quite a few others. The existing braking system is designed to stop a Sierra. A Hood is quite a bit lighter. You apparently get more 'feel' too. I can't vouch for this myself personally yet though, as I've not got my car on the road yet. You'll need a replacement brake rod - available from Tiger Racing. I think some people may have had them made up though aswell.

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Tom

Took ours off when we fitted the Toyota engine in the 2b, originally to get the twin 40's in.

The difference is amazing, I now feel that I am in charge of the brakes and not them in charge of the car.

Tiger Racing do a push rod that you use to take up the space left by the removal of the servo, it's about a tenner.

BB has his removed on a 2l injected car and he feels the same as me.

Much improved.

HTH

Ian J

So do i just need to fit a push rod instead of the servo?

I thught i had to change the pedal box and fit two cylinder things with a balance bar?

Sorry to use the term "things" its been flat out at work and im feeling a bit brain fried!

Guest Battery Bill

Tom

Just put in this pushrod from Tiger (Or make one yourself which would be dead easy)

and get rid of the hulking great servo :D :D

Richard

No point in it being there if its not being used

Bill

post-160-1161790866_thumb.jpg

Guest Battery Bill

Tom

You built a car remember of course its easy :lol: :lol: :p :p

A couple of bolts (Might be a couple more) then separate the reservior from the servo throw the servo away and bolt the reservior with extension piece to the holes that used to hold the servo :D

BUT remember when you first drive it try them out first and REMEMBER you have to push harder :lol: :lol:

It is a shock at first even when you are expecting it, but well worth doing. Whenever someone has a go in Joeys car we are at pains to mention that the Brakes "Need pressing" :D (Oh yes and close the bonnet before any wags get their oars in :lol: :lol: :p )

Guest salty_monk
(Oh yes and close the bonnet before any wags get their oars in :lol: :lol: :p )

Don't know what you're talking about.... (walks off whistling.....)

941.jpg

Nice cushion sir..... :p

Huh... I thought the Tiger bar was longer not shorter??

:)

Dunno mate, I just cut mine down and hey presto (etc) - working brakes, no servo. It's because the Sierra's master cylinder is mounted on the servo, so remove that and the servo mounts directly to the pedal box (note : new holes required for the bolts), so its closer to the brake pedal, so you need to shorten the rod.

Well, at least, that's how it worked on mine.

:)