Where Can I Buy A Custom Chrome Exhaust From?

Guest tom2b

Guest Alex Spratt
I really want an exhaust the same as stu205 has (picture below) Where can i get hold of one, does anyone know if they have dealers or is it a ring the factory job?

Exhaust picture

This is their website incase you cant find it (not the easiest on google without knowing where they are (nuneaton nr coventry))

http://www.custom-chrome.co.uk/body1.htm

Al

Im loving there homepage, that motorbike is excellently displayed :p drools on feet

before i go and part with my hard earned cash, can anyone here who has one or has heard one on a pinto with a rh supplied 4 branch manifold confirm if it is alot quieter than the standard rh silencer?

are wunoff likely to be at exter kitcar show?

Guest chris brown
before i go and part with my hard earned cash, can anyone here who has one or has heard one on a pinto with a rh supplied 4 branch manifold confirm if it is alot quieter than the standard rh silencer?
Only by about 10db

Guest salty_monk

which is actually quite a lot, certainly noticeable.... The tone/pitch will change too which can help....

I imagine by Chris's comment that would set it in the low 90's possibly the high 80's. A typical "boy racer" exhaust on a muppet-mobile probably get up to high 80's.

Dan :)

Hmmm tough call here, i find my exhaust very raspy, very racy - someone even compared it to the note of their fireblade and it really makes the car sound like your driving it like a maniac. I want it so that it can be driven sensibly without drawing unwanted attention but is still sporty at top revs.

Would the wunoff tick all of those boxes or am i looking for the impossible?

Guest salty_monk

To be honest you might have to go baffled to get what you're looking for.

Just an idea but what about getting hold of a Wunoff & trying it, if it doesn't work out for you you can probably recover most of your outlay on here or even better make up some baffles yourself & insert them, should be enough room to work through the "repackable" end... :) (Ask Nigel if he's ever done any "ladies" work... he might have some useful tools! :lol:

From one who has had all of the silencers that have been mentioned.

The cheapest way is to cut into the RH one from underneath out of sight, and repack it, the rivit/silicone a patch over the cut.

The Custom Chrome one is easy to mount, and will cut the noise down considerably, (remember that -3db is halving the noise, ) the problem with the Custom Chrome silencer is; the chrome gets battered by road grime thrown up from the front wheel, and will soon look somewhat 2nd hand. the front clamp on the silencer is even worse design than anything RHSC have ever come up with, and will snap in a very short time. you will nee practice as a micro-surgeon to repack it.

The Wunoff silencer is a pain to mount (I can show you what I came up with) you can't just buy and fit, you need to mount the silencer, then they'll make you a pipe to connect it to your main output pipe. (I can tell you how to go about that)

However, the Wunoff silencer is head and shoulders above the Custom Chrome one in quality, is a million times easier to repack, and it keeps it's good looks (stainless)

You can also get them is different lengths /dia if you wish ( I don't recommend you do)

All silencer packing deteriorates after a while, and will need renewing now and again.

Guest chris brown
I imagine by Chris's comment that would set it in the low 90's possibly the high 80's.
Mid 90's Dan. My RH one wouldn’t stay down below about 105 for more than 2 or 3K after repacking but initially after repacking dropped to about 98db. The Wonoff also has a much better tone for longer runs where I used to find the RH one tiring (exhausting :D :D ), But that may be something to do with my age (had to get that bit in before someone else did) :p :p :p

does -3db really make it that much quieter?

Ill try repacking the rh one as i have nothing to lose. Its only done 1,500 miles, surely it shouldnt be kackered already????

I think i will have to replace it with a wunoff eventually, can i see the pics of how you mounted it jim?

does -3db really make it that much quieter?

Ill try repacking the rh one as i have nothing to lose. Its only done 1,500 miles, surely it shouldnt be kackered already????

I think i will have to replace it with a wunoff eventually, can i see the pics of how you mounted it jim?

3db = twice the noise level. In other words, if you noise tested a m/bike and it came to 100 db, then you put another one right next to it, and noise tested between them both (obviously with both running etc!) it would show 103 db, not 200 db

and mileage, yes! there's bugger-all in the RH silencers to start with!

When you repack it, remove all the old stuff, and repack with new, you can get the right stuff from any m/bike shop that sell off-road bikes (they need repacking every other meeting!) its about £4 - £5 per pack, and I'll think that for a RH silencer you'll need 2+ packs. you'll not get it in in big wads, so cut it into strips about 2" wide and prod it in with something. you want it all packed and firm'ish, but not hard tight.

I would say that a silencer will start to deteriorate after about 3-4k if the car is used hard.

So cut a flap big enough to poke through, repack it etc, then put a plate over the flap with some rivits and silicone (it won't set fire!)

Thanks for that jim, i think a repack is definately in order, it will give me chance to save up some money to buy a wunoff with. Im starting to think that the rh silencer is quite positively the crappest thing ive bought from rh and wasnt even worth bothering with.