Megajolt Lite Jr

Greenie

Well hello there, is there anyone out there in this mad world who can help me understand and use the Megajolt Lite Jr ignition system. I have just recently purchaseda 2b with system on it and being of sound mind and body I am bit wary of pluging my lap top into it, just in case it prevents the car from running. I would really appreciate it if someone can put my mind at ease, I am keen to experiment with it but don't want to delve into it wothout some back ground. HELP! :ph34r:

Greenie

Hi Pete,

i have a Megasquirt but have yet to fit and play with it, but im sure its quite easy once you know the basics, if you save the current map, then even if you do cock it up, it should be easy enough to re enter the original so no problems, in fact i quite like the idea of trying it on yours first ;)

I see you quite near, but admiting to being a GOBBIN !!!!! :lol: :D :lol:

Mitch

Hi Pete,

i have a Megasquirt but have yet to fit and play with it, but im sure its quite easy once you know the basics, if you save the current map, then even if you do cock it up, it should be easy enough to re enter the original so no problems, in fact i quite like the idea of trying it on yours first ;)

I see you quite near, but admiting to being a GOBBIN !!!!! :lol: :D :lol:

Mitch

Thanks Mitch,

Yes deffinately a GOBBIN in more ways than one, must get together sometime hopefully soon, I admire your confidence, I will give it a go tomorrow.

Thanks Pete :ph34r:

Peter,.

have a look at the info here :

http://www.picasso.org/mjlj/

A click should take you straight in for more info.

Hope it helps .

Mick

Thanks Mick,

Already registered with is site, just wondrered if anyone had any pointers before I explore the system. :ph34r:

Greenie

I've got an Emerald ECU and love playing around with the settings to see what it does. As reviously mentioned, plug in, save your map (and back it up on CD or similar) and play around. Its addictive.

Andy

I've got an Emerald ECU and love playing around with the settings to see what it does. As reviously mentioned, plug in, save your map (and back it up on CD or similar) and play around. Its addictive.

Andy

:ph34r:

Went for the plug-in today and to my great disappointment I acn not get the lap top to talk to the system, thinking it may be my lap top I tried my business one (SHH don't tell the boss) and yet again failed to connect? It comes up with a PORT COM 1 error, any ideas?

Pete

I have to start my laptop with the ECU plugged in for some reason, but connects OK then through the COM1 port. Is the ECU on? (i.e. ignition on).

Andy

If your starting your lap top up with ECU plugged in you must on a plug & play system? Apparently I have an interface issue which hopefully will be sorted by weekend then hold onto your hats! Any idea where I can get hold of some maps for a 1.8 Zetec running on R1 Bikes carbs? :ph34r:

There are a few settings you have to set up = speed, stop bit, etc

The manual for the megajolt should tell you how to set up the com port - are you sure the serial port on the laptop is com1 ?

Manual? What manual never got one when I bought the car, love to have one, any idea where I can get hold of such a manual? :ph34r:

I don't have a megajolt map for the zetec but do have an emerald ignition map from a rolling road session. I could copy the advance values at the speed / load sites as a base map if you have no luck elsewhere, but you'll probably have to input manually.

I spent most of Sunday fettling with mine, I'm making some real progress now, got rid of a couple of flat spots and it idles like a dream at 800 rpm with 0.7% CO, but barks like a good'un right up to 7200. Took the advance up as far as I dare and gave it 5% more fuelling over 4000 rpm and its made a massive difference. Took a couple of peaks and troughs out of the curves and its never driven better. The problem is I just can't stop messing with it now as after a lot of practice, it just seems to be getting better and better....

Andy

Andy, I would like to have a look at your ignition map if possible. Not sure if your software allows you to copy it including rpm and tps values.

My engine is still running like a dogs dinner and some idea of what your values are would give me possible clues. I think I may just be going to the wrong rolling roads!

Nigel

Greenie, i have just come across some info and maps for the Zetec in word and excell and a basic any 4 cyliner map plus some links and i think the installer for the Megajolt tune, email me your adress and i will pop the disc in the post.

That goes for you as well Longboarder.

See ignition map in attached file screen dumped into a word document.

Nigel - I have screen dumped all my settings (including injection, ignition, events and temperature corrections) into a word file. If you (or anyone else that wants it) email me then I will send it to you, its too big a file to post on here.

Its still a bit rough round the edges but engine does run well. Don't bank on it working though, the map that ran Rich Hall's old 2B with EXACTLY the same setup (2.0 Black Top Zetec, Raceline throttle bodies, same fuel pressure, same sensors, same injectors) makes mine run like a bag of old nails, thick black smoke etc. His ran (and went) incredibly well, mine is not close at the moment.

I still think that the only people good at mapping any particular ECU are those that have a very close link to the software...eg Dave Walker himself for the Emerald.

Andy

ecu_ignition.doc