Lightweight

Guest gdc

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi

so far we have three, a merry bunch but couldnt even make a team for 5 aside footie,

by the way i just posted in the sva section LIGHTWEIGHT MK2 SVA PASS WHOOPIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GRAHAM

opps shouting

and i forgot to add scott as reserve

• 2 weeks later...

hi

took it out today, bit cold but its booked in tomorrow for new dissy and carb tune up,

the weather forcast looks bad for tomorrow so decided to drop it of tonight.

WHAT A RUSH it feels right you just know when a car is right or not through the seat of your pants.

bit nervouse it was the first little run but appart from the spitting of the carbs brill.

took the 2b pillar out sun and the differance is incredible,the pillar feels nervouse and unwilling to

turn in to corners also very twitchy,,

just bought a zetec for the 2b and some wishbones so bit more work to do to sort that out ,

any one got any info to improve the rear of the 2b seems to wallow and wander ,

and yes its all bolted up!

regards graham

Guest salty_monk

You could try modding the chassis to fix the rear subframe differently, do a search on here, a couple have done it.

Also change to rear coilovers from Gaz or similar if you haven't already...

Fitting an LSD may also help it feel more solid, it feels odd when one wheel goes first sometimes...

Dan :)

Guest chris brown
You could try modding the chassis to fix the rear subframe differently, do a search on here, a couple have done it.

Fitting an LSD may also help it feel more solid, it feels odd when one wheel goes first sometimes...

Dan means to Gaz or similar. I had zimmers which people tell me were better than the Sierra springs and shocks but it made a fantastic difference changing to "proper" coilovers and the LSD does give you a better feel when cornering hard and on damp roads but does take some getting used to.

hi dan

i think iknow what you mean , but the 1800 pinto wont pull your pants down let alone spin up withought you realising,

it feels like something is wandering or as the sus goes up and down the rear wheels are almost steering

the car from the rear, a bit disconcerting to say the least.

i got some camber wedges from peter bell over the we end may by the camber is affecting the handling?

regards graham

Rear mod: that would be me, timswait and elwe, afaik. Slight difference, worth doing, dispite the huge effort on a built car, but not a great difference compared to changing to wishbone front / coilovers!

rear coilovers: i've always had them but i suggest it will make a massive improvement (vs rides in sierra srung cars)

LSD: only if you like going sideways!!!! (and only if you have done point #1 on strengethening)

Guest salty_monk

I don't have any problems with mine (Sierra springs) & didn't have any real problems of the same nature with my pillock model..... That had RHE coilovers that were just far too soft but it did help to compensate for the lack of front suspension....

I'd check the rear axle is on straight & tight for a starter. Then makes sure the chassis isn't cracked. Make sure the rear wheel bearings arent about to let go (unlikely) also check the spring cup where it's bolted to the chassis & the damper bolts. New dampers might help if there is an imbalance left to right... can't think of anything else.

Neither of mine have had the wedges either & both have posted reasonable track times but neither of them are that low....

If anything the camber would give you more grip in the corners rather than less & wouldn't make it wiggle....

I see you've possibly bought some wishbones of Mbate, if they are the stock RH ones you will have to make some chassis extensions to get them to work I believe. The two chassis are quite different at the front.

it feels like something is wandering or as the sus goes up and down the rear wheels are almost steering

the car from the rear, a bit disconcerting to say the least.

I have a wishbone conversion, and sometimes get this feeling when i've got the dampers set soft at the front. I think (but don't know) that it is because my steering rack is too long (so causing unwanted steering changes with suspension movement). As the hubs on a sliding pillar move in a straight line, as opposed to an arc, it will have the same effect as too long a rack, but exaggerated (effectively excessive toe-in when cornering).

I'm not sure if changing anything at the back will help.

Anyone please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

Guest timswait

Grim's right about the bump steer (toe angle changes as suspension moves) problem on the sliding pillar, and a wishbone conversion will certainly make a big difference. As for the rear strengthening, make sure your plate isn't already cracked. Grim was reporting some pretty random handling from the back end when he was driving his around with a crack in it. Even if its not cracked the reinforcing bracket does make some improvement, I'll try and get round to writing it up for the mag. Also coil overs make a big differences over the Sierra set up, I've just fitted them to mine (although admittedly the Sierra dampers I was replacing were fairly knackered). Try jacking up the back of the car and giving the wheels a big heave and see if there's any play anywhere, look at the trailing arm bushes too.

Grim was reporting some pretty random handling from the back end when he was driving his around with a crack in it.

That's true, also worth checking. Just where the ream beam mounting plate meets the vertical seat belt mounting plate, below the chassis rails.

dscn2083smalljv1.jpg

dscn2084smallkp2.jpg

These pics were taken with a jack holding up the beam, it dropped 10 or 15mm without it.

The ride is pretty grim with this, very very bouncy. Can't tell you about the level of grip, i never had the confidence to find out! That said, i did manage to pirouette on a perfectly straight road at 60 something mph!

And here's a pic of my welded in plates that attach around the trailing arm bolt

dscn2783smallvk4.jpg

hi

thanks for all the replys grim that set of pictures gives me the willies, woried ?

yes the 2b has rh coil overs fitted that attach to the bottom of the roll bar

got the zetec today ( on a lighter note ).

its a 33k engine all complete inc the imobiliser key? for £250.99 plus delivery of £75.

even got the clocks bargain?????????

so do i junk the injection and go to carbs or bike carbs ??

type 9 or mt75 got both here but the type 9 is in the 2b

do bike carbs need a fuel return?i think not but need clarification.

what dissy would work with the bike carbs? coil pack? or mapable?

i have never played with injection systems or the like hence my love of all things simple .

any help gratefully recieved.

regards graham

and yes i am completly mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Zetec does not have a dizzy all the spark and fuel is in the ECU.

Fit it as it is then go MSnS, then add Throttle bodies to taste.

Longboarder has some real experience with the Zetec retro fit.

Zetec does not have a dizzy all the spark and fuel is in the ECU.

Fit it as it is then go MSnS, then add Throttle bodies to taste.

Longboarder has some real experience with the Zetec retro fit.