Lightweight

Guest gdc

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a little teaser before christmas and i am hopeing GDC or graham can answer this one if your differential was to go faulty what would happen to the lightweight given that the differential can not be removed with out totaly dismantling the rear end of the car hench one of the reasons i sold mine on

Guest ScotMac
Just a little teaser before christmas and i am hopeing GDC or graham can answer this one if your differential was to go faulty what would happen to the lightweight given that the differential can not be removed with out totaly dismantling the rear end of the car hench one of the reasons i sold mine on

Just hope that if it goes bad it isn´t the case. ie, should be able to remove the internals via the sides and that door in the back.

-sm

Just hope that if it goes bad it isn´t the case. ie, should be able to remove the internals via the sides and that door in the back.

-sm

BTW, Graham, what is the deal w/ the MOT and the engine????? Think the UK english is messing me up!!! ;)

Anyway, hope it is going well.

hi scott

re the mot .

this is an annual inspection required for a vechicle to be used on the road ,

here in my area we have to have this inspection prior to the big test which is the sva test carried out by government inspectors.

re the engine

i have fitted a 1600cc ford xflow bored to 1698cc the engine number denotes the age of the engine,

the emmisions test for sva relates to the actual year of manufacture of the engine.

my engine no starts with HS the years this prefix was used relates to 1968 and 1987 .

the emmision tests are totaly different for the 2 years , much stricter for the latter.

however my engine is a 711m block and not produced till mid 70s .

ok then should be 1987 then ,however the xflow was discontinued before 1987 ,the only xflow after that was fitted to the fiesta and later to the ka.

and these engines were block stamped differently

hence my dillema

has the block been re stamped?

did the guy doing the scim to the block write down the wrong prefix,

then stamp it wrong

the bigest fear is that someone has deliberatey alterted the engine identity

regards graham

Guest Alan_builder

Hi Graham (gdc),

Just had a quick look at the Lightweight to see how they are progressing.

I saw your explanation of MOT and SVA and a fact that in your area one needs a MOT prior to SAV!

Which region are you in?

Do you know if that is a VOSA or DVLA stipulation?

I didn't even have a Buiuld Up Inspection (BUI). As it turned out the DVLA offered me one if I took my car to the SVA station but I could not drive the car there for the BUI (as it is their duty to visit for the BUI ( said no). From what the VOSA Tester said, I predict the BUI to be a thing of the past in a short while. Yeading (west London) had to do all the checks that are in a BUI for the SVA so why bother with a BUI?

How do you get the car to a MOT station? I understood you are only permitted to drive to the SVA station provided you have insurance. As there is no legislation requiring an MOT PRIOR TO SVA it is illegal to drive to a MOT even if you have an appointment. I would need to check but I don't think you can have an MOT without a number plate and you cant get that prior to SVA. You don't use the donor car's registration you get an age related plate.

Hence I am very interested to find your location.

Please ask for the MOT prior to SVA to be put in writing by an officer (please send me a copy) prior to driving to your MOT. Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law.

Alan

I :wub: my RH

hi allan

the car was trailored to the mot ,

prior to this it was tralored to the buildup examination,

i am in bedfofdshire.

the mot was carried out after the build up examination ,

the chassis no was stamped in and then the car transported to the mot,

after mot then sva , well here anyway?

i am going to the sva station tomorrow to sort out a test date

regards graham

hi simon

how you getting on with your build

i did mention to you that i would help you with brake pipes ect i have all the gear here?

and i would be happy to help

if you need any assistance please ask !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am not doing any thing at the moment as waiting for sva date !

the lightweight mk2 is sitting quietly waiting for its test,

it is regesterd as a mk2.

i know i am a few miles away but if i can help i am more than happy to do so

regards graham

Guest rimexboy
hi simon

how you getting on with your build

i did mention to you that i would help you with brake pipes ect i have all the gear here?

and i would be happy to help

if you need any assistance please ask !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am not doing any thing at the moment as waiting for sva date !

the lightweight mk2 is sitting quietly waiting for its test,

it is regesterd as a mk2.

i know i am a few miles away but if i can help i am more than happy to do so

regards graham

hi Graham

yer i know you did and thats very kind of you indeed to do that for me, I am sorry i am from the old days that even though thats what you said and offered i feel i am taking the P**S as i am sure you have more than enought to do without me driving you crackers about brake pipes like it has me :wub: :wub: well i am getting their very slow to say the least mate to be honest its like watching paint dry and i have not even opened the tin :lol: :lol:

the friday before xmas we had a conservatory delivered so i have got to start thing about sorting that and loads of other things on the house so it looks like the 2B will have to take a back seat or passenger one at least.

good news about the lightweight mk2 i like it and hope all goes fast and well you have both worked very hard on it and it looks fab :D

regards simon

Guest keithscc362

Hi Graham,

I will give you a phone in the new year with regards to your mods.

Hope all goes well for you with the SVA im sure it will.

On another note just like to wish all the Hoodie builders / owners all the best for the new year as im bloody working back shift ( 2 pm to 10.45 pm )

Catch ya later.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...