4 Into 1 With Rover 100 Rack On Pillar

Guest craig030774

Guest craig030774

hi just fitted 4 into 1 with a lot of huffing and puffing got alternator re- located but steering shft hits 3 and 4 tubes about 3/4" in the way any ideas of getting round this issue, tried warming exhaust and gentle persuasion to make it fit but still no good don't fancy flatteneing the tubes or is this the only way

Guest salty_monk

Mine fitted ok but was very "snug".....

Same spec as yours.... Used the Injection alternator (huge double pulley thing) mounted up top too. I actually relieved the casting on the alternator (read filed the edge off) to stop it touching the steering column.

Should be able to see it here, it does fit though RH tolerance on Chassis & the 4 into 1 prob leaves a lot to be desired.... so yours could be different.

Can you shift the engine on the mounts at all??

DSCF0725.jpg

DSCF0720.jpg

Well one has to go round the other and you could move either. I take it you have done all the adjusting of engine mounts possible to gain extra room. Then either the steering shaft could have an extra UJ in its middle and a support to allow it to go round or you speak to your friendly local welder and cut and reposition tubes 3 & 4 of the exhaust. Dont try to flatten or bend them. It won't work.

Nigel

Could pack them with sharp sand & try to bend them I guess, meant to be very effective. (The sand stops them collapsing - flush well after).

Dan :)

that only really works before welding dan

seem it done, when they couldnt use the proper bender at work

The holes in the chassis that take the bottom stud of the engine mount are the usual RH "Generous"

Loosen the nuts & lever the engine over towards the passenger side...

You could also try shimming one side or the other to tilt the engine to a better position.

Bobb

Guest salty_monk

but be careful you don't cause interference problems between bonnet & carb... :D

I've done that on a few occasions - modified one bit to fit only to find it throws something else out.

Guest craig030774

:D

but be careful you don't cause interference problems between bonnet & carb... :D

I've done that on a few occasions - modified one bit to fit only to find it throws something else out.

:D :D :D :D

The steering column "hanger" bracket as supplied by RHE, (the flat bit you fold in half, put over the chassis rail & bolt to the steering column) can be mounted in two ways, one of 'em is wrong.

Make sure yours is fitted the right way round....cant remember which way that is & I'm at work so I cant check the car.

HTH Bob

Guest craig030774

slung that bit bob and welded a 4mm plate on the chassis ( probabally should of kept the tin bit :mellow: )

now either the top uj catches on chassis or the bottom joint (not uj) on the side of the chassis thinking along the line of having the steering shaft welded ( to lose plate at the bottom of shaft before uj)