Sikaflex Vs Other Silicone Question

baj25

I need to get some adhesive/ sealant for a few jobs on the car. I’ve got some good silicone stuff I’ve used on various projects, but I keep hearing about Sikaflex (recurrent nightmares from watching 2B build vids). Is Sikaflex that much better than other similar stuff? If so, which type do I need (t’internet throws up quite a few product numbers)? And where can I get it from (in North West or mail order)?

TIA, Brian

I’ve just recalled a young lady from when I was working in Brasil who very proudly lifted her top for us to show off her ‘silicone enhancements’. Mmm. My memory often fails me these days but some Mamories (sic) you never forget!

Guest chris brown

Sikaflex isn’t silicone its polyurethane and is much better than any silicone but there are several manufactures’ who can supply polyurethane adhesive/sealant. Worth for one. Keep your silicone for bath tubs and the like and well away from your car.

I use Car Builder Solutions Polyurethane adhesive (same as Sikaflex)n only problem i find is that you never get to use a whole tube as the plastic piston welds itself to the tube then you have to cut the tube open then it gets everyware and makes an unholy mess, still love the stuff. Its full of supaglue. The only thing i have not managed to glue with it was my modified low level oil filler breather cap.

Guest carl leonard

Use Adflex made by Sikaflex - same stuff but a lot cheaper. It's available from Infast in Nottingham. There may be other outlets throughout the country

Carl.

I am told that SIKA 221 is the most common type of sikaflex used on kits. It is available through Partco and is about 8 quid a cartridge.

If anyone needs to find out about suitability of other sika products, their technical helpline is on 01707 394444. They were really helpful when I rang.

Thanks for all the answers to the original post.

Brian