Type 9

Greenie

Guest chris brown

I made one as Dave Andrews suggests and find it excellent and in true hoodie tradition (why spend money when you can DIY it for free). If you find its not to your liking then go out and buy one but try it first and see how you get on with it,

I did some pics when I made mine. Slight mod by using E clips under the black plastic half ball, more clips greater shift for less hand movement. I destroyed a lever for the pics to show what components are involved but you don't dismantle yours. Spacer for plate to top of box must be same thickness the lever has been moved to keep the fork at the right level in the selectors.

Nigel

Guest chris brown

Nigel

Do you have photos for everything? I have difficulty remembering what I did, never mind finding photos. That is if I had remembered to take them in the first place :p :p :p

Guest peter2b2002

i did mine as per rhocar site NW hoodies took about 20 mins very easy to mod cost £0.00 work fine nice short quick shift, plus i cut the threaded bit off the top of the gear lever as well

pete2b

Why is it that you lads make it look so easy!

Off to scrap yard tomorrow to get a lever to practice on first, so we are looking at a 7mm spacer, looks simple enough, good job my dadas an engineer with a workshop at the back of his house with all the gear.

Greenie :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

• 1 month later...
Guest peter2b2002

added to my last post, on my doner there was a spacer on top of the gear lever plate just the right thickness to go under the fixing plate

pete2b

added to my last post, on my doner there was a spacer on top of the gear lever plate just the right thickness to go under the fixing plate

pete2b

Cheers to everyone with this one, I did not know that there was so many different ways of doing this mod, but I went and followed the instructions from the RH web site, designed and made a spacer to the desired wide. Yet to go out on the road but it seems to work OK, but not really convinced about what I will acheive.

Just one question is 7mm the maximum or can you go further?

Anyway thanks to everyone.

PS Roadster 7 seats just arrived and guess what, yes that's, it more mods to make them fit.............DAD!

Greenie :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Guest chris brown
Just one question is 7mm the maximum or can you go further?
You can do it to whatever you want just remember that the amount of ball move, thickness of spacer and amount cut from rubber spring must all be the same. Also much more than 7 or 8mm and the changes start to get rather notchy (which is my complaint with the production ones) as you have no doubt reduced the length of the leaver in the first place which in its self gives a shorter throw

• 2 weeks later...

I used the Rally Design kit on mine a few years ago - very simple kit but a little fiddly to fit the collars on the stick itself. Not at all expensive - highly recomended :D