My Engine Rebuild

Guest tom2b

Thought id share some pictures of my engine rebuild with you, all i have left to do before the engine itself is finished is to set the clearances, repaint the rocker cover and fit the stainless rocker cover washers and bolts i have bought. Once the engines in situ it will all be retimed.

engine3.jpg

engine2.jpg

engine1.jpg

How it was before the rebuild

Image024.jpg

Yes as Peter says its much easier to do cam timing while engines out and rocker cover is off. Reasonably easy with dial guage.

I think Burton Power catalogue has a guide to doing it at the front. I did mine myself and i'm fairly confident its spot on.

Engine looks nice by the way ;) same colour as mine.

Andy

If you have not yet timed in the cam, take the belt off, put the oil filter on, fill the engine with oil and spin the oil pump by spinning the auxilary shaft pulley. Keep going till the filter is full and oil is squirting out of the spray bar holes. This will save wear on first start.

Certainly makes sense then to refit the cam belt and time in the cam with the engine still on the stand (and do the follower gaps). You will need a dial gauge. You can also set the ignition timing to about 8deg BTDC for an easy start. Then fit the engine.

Nigel

i hate untidy workshops, untidy anything for that matter. I think i have some female hormones lol.

I like my 7 grille but im in 2 minds whether to fit the matching grill to compliment the exhaust guard

Image015.jpg

Ill get the cam timed in when i get my hands on the gauge from a friend, ive also got a tube of lube (engine assembly lube) to prevent wear whilst turning the engine over