Sump

Guest paul091085

is it relatively easy to remove a shortened sump with the engine in the car?

Paul

its possible, but from memory, you will have to loosen the engine mounts and jack the egine up till it hits the cross memebr above the bellhousing

i seem to remember its more of a sod to put back in!

dave

Guest gordon_macnab

You need to drop the sump enough to get access to the pivk up pipe bolts and take them off to drop the pick-up into the sump then it should come off easier.

Its not too bad to do get the car up on stands to give you room loosen engin monts both sides and jack up on one side. engine hoist even better just a couple of inches needed. its a bit af a fiddle but it can be done.

i changed over from a none shortened sump to a shortened one in an afternoon with no problems. Its certainly a loit easier than taking the whole engine out.

phil

Guest paul091085

Managed to get it out and back in this afternoon. took from 2pm till about 6.30!! I could not feel my fingers or toes, as i don't have the luxury of a garage and was doing it out in the street.

It is easily the most tedious and boring job i have had to do on this car so far. Removing all the sump bolts and having to wiggle it all to get it out, then having to do the same again when re-fitting it. Still easier than removing the engine, but not a job i want to be doing again in a hurry!!

Paulb