Grrrrrrrrrr I Need

Guest sim

when i looked at the chassis before fitting the type 9 box something didn't seem right now i know what it was :(

I purchased this with auto box in and seems the auto box is much longer prob about 5 inch or so

the guy i brought it from must have modified the chassis for the auto to fit now i need to get it back for manual

in the picture theres about 4 inch from g/b mounting to the mounting fixings on chassis they are also about an inch lower than the floor which i believe need to be level with floor any advice on best way to rectify this would be appreciated also if anybody has a pic of the 2b chassis of the area i'm working on as the video shows old style chassis and is different

The prop shaft is also about 4 - 5 inches to small so some clues as to where to get one made in my area would be good

tia

si

post-2454-1181242777_thumb.jpg

post-2454-1181242792_thumb.jpg

post-2454-1181242804_thumb.jpg

Guest Tim Norman

First thing you need to do is to lose that rubber donut!

The rest can be fixed with some angle iron and the big rubber bracket that goes on the bottom of the gearbox. If you want to come and have a look at mine while the engine is out I'm in all weekend. As for the prop I had mine built at Wilsons driveshafts in Nottingham

Thanks Tim

The donut was only left in while in transit to stop oil leakage ;)

It would be a great help if i could have a quick look at yours sometime over the weekend i will give you a bell sat to arrange a time with you

cheers

si

I think the upright tube outlined has been moved and should go forward to join the down tube to the cross tube. Hack out the angle iron that is the current gearbox support. I don't know if the cross tube was originally continuous across the middle but I think it was. Get the welder out. Put the tubes back where they should be. Bolt the rubber gearbox mount under the gearbox extension and you can then see where you need to add some angle to provide the support.

Nigel

come on guys give a new builder a hand :) oh by the way i am a rhocar member just waiting for it to be upgraded

cheers

si

One hour and fifteen minutes and your on here moaning already because you haven't had any help/response? I know your wanting to get on with it, but give people a chance! Please :)

Thanks enforcer the pictures give me a better idea of what it should be like

wondering if the chassis would be strong enough with the middle bit of the cross rail missing? it will have the down tubes welded to it so i presume it will just hope mr sva when the time comes thinks so

cheers

si

Guest timswait

As Nigel says, several of the tubes have been moved, but your main problem is that the bit I've circled on enforcer's photo has been chopped out. This section is drilled to take the Sierra's rubber gearbox mount. I think your only option is to re-fabricate this and weld it back in. Do you have the build videos? They will show you a lot clearer how it should be, although some of the detail of how the tubes has changed over the years and the videos (my ones at least) seemed to be based on older cars.

post-218-1181296237_thumb.jpg

Thanks timswait my vids are the same older chassis used but thanks to all the help from here just gotta go find me a welder that will make the missus happy lol

anybody know of any good deals locally (derbyshire/s/yorks/notts) i'm just about on border of all 3 countys

cheers

si

Guest mastarforth

I know thismight sound absolutely stupid, but is your engine attached to the other end of the gear box, and if so are your engine mounts facing the right direction?

that could give you about 2-3 inches of movement if they were fitted onto the worng side

Prepareing to get shot down by more experienced members