Robin Hood Releases New 'lightweight'

used to see stuff like that quite often in Blackburn, coach chassis being driven between factories ready for the body work to be fitted at east lancs coach builders

Mitch

Guest micky bigthumbs

richard you must have seen truck chassis being delivered like that in this country,,i used to do it in the late seventies ..in convoy down the m6 to Wilcox ..very good fun with many volenteers :D

richard you must have seen truck chassis being delivered like that in this country,,i used to do it in the late seventies

Not any more they don't mate! :o Anyway all I can recall from the late seventies are Curly Wurlys and having a crush on Sally James :wub:

I've driven them about too! but atlantean bus chassis, steel fabricated seat bolted to the chassis, with a plywood board bolted on a framework to the front of the chassis.

In fact, I had a bit of a "mishap" with one! :rolleyes:

I was taking it from the factory in Leyland, to our workshop in Chorley (approx 5 miles) as I say, it was an Atlantean chassis (double decker bus) the problem was, it was a "Left hooker"

Now the chassis on one of these, is offset at the front to allow for the passengers step, so it narrows from the passenger side. The framework with the plywood that was fixed to the front of the chassis on this particular one, was actually designed to go on a "normal" right handed driven chassis, so when fixed to this one, was offset by about 2ft to the left.

(Can you understand whatI mean.....................I'm not sure that I do now!)

Anyway, realising that I'd best not drive by positioning the "board" in the road, but to concentrate where the front wheels actually were (these are behind you)

All went well, until about 1/2 mile from home (well the workshop!) when I had to weave through parked cars on both sides of a street. I must have automatically gone back to positioning the "board" in relevance to where I needed to go, this then had the chassis too far over to the right.

All that I can say, is that I only took a bit of paint off the wheel nuts on the front O/S wheel, mind you, it did open up the Ford Cortina like a milling cutter, Wing, door, tyre, they all got ripped off!

Knocked on his door and told him "I think I've scratched your car mate" gave him the telephone number of the boss and told him to ring up to get it sorted. I believe he didn't do badly out of it!