Help, I Think I Need Tie Bars!

Guest roundy

Having just got back from the Thames Valley meet and having to hold on for dear life I am convinced I fancy fitting tie rods!!! I have'nt a clue where to start other than the thread's I've been reading. My main problem is getting them made....I have no idea!!!!

Can anyone help!? (A chap said he may have some last night but I've forgottin his name!) :huh:

Chris

I drove really slow on the way home. !!! You seemed to follow OK.

It may have been a bit skippy on the way there, as I didn't hang about too much and your suspension is a little hard ( being polite).

Nice roads Eh ???

Get it set up so you can follow around the Theale roundabout.

See you soon

Graham

Tie bars aren't going to 'soften' the suspension, but they will firm up the forward/backward movement of the track control arm - something which can usually be achieved by replacing the bushes

Some photos / info in this thread may help:

Tie rods etc

Actually, having thought about it, provided the tie rod is fitted to the chassis with a ball joint to permit up/down movement, this would free you from the stiffness of the sierra ARB.

I'll get me coat

Fitting tie bars will create a more "independant" set up and therefore produce better handling (from what I've read) !

I just have no idea on how to even think about starting to make them!!!!

Would be handy if there's anyone on here that has some knocking around or makes them!

;)

Tie bars are a well known 3a modification as the sierra roll bar is so thick that the suspension just does not move, also the springs that come with the original kit are about 180 per inch and 150 is better.

I have gone the half way house route until after SVA with the anti roll bar milled down to half thickness in the middle section

Roundy, i have photos and drawings of some tie bar solutions, not on this computer but if you message me your email i will try and send them

• 2 weeks later...
I was wondering if they could be machined from the anti-roll bar itself ie chop it to length and thread the end for a spherical joint.

Thought of this myself and may give it a try, however the anti rollbar material is damed hard and it took two milling bits to get it to half size so don't know how easy it would be to cut a thread. You cannot put in a lathe as iot is bent so would have to drill and tap an internal thread or hand cut an external.