Fuel And Brake Lines

Guest sparks

Hi All,

Hoping to put in the fuel and brake lines this week.

Still not decided whether to use self tappers or pop rivets (all stainless).

Both lines are going through the transmission tunnel, the thing is they are going to be attached on the drivers side (easier to remove passenger side parts than drivers? my theory anyway!).

The thing is, both fasteners will stick out the other side into the drivers side. Do I grind them down or cover them in carpet or are their smaller sizes to use (3.2mm are the ones I have at the moment)?

Any help would be grate.

Cheers

Sparks

I did exactly the same as you, attaching all lines and wiring to the driver's side. I figured that if I ever wanted to get in there again it would be the passenger seat that would come out.

I ran the fuel pipes, brake pipes and wiring loom through (separate) lengths of convoluted tubing, and this was held in place using plastic 'P'clips. I riveted these on from the driver's tunnel side. The rivets presented a reasonably flat edge and this is completely covered by the carpet. No need even to file them down.

Prop.jpg

I just used the 4mm machine screws and nuts that RH supplied. I used some plastic p-clips from maplins, as they were about £3 for 100 or so, to hold the brake pipe and some pieces of aluminium shaped to hold the fuel line and return. The bolt heads are only 3mm or so and don't show on mine as i have sponge and then leather cloth covering them.

hope that helps.

Hi Sparks,

Fix the fasteners so that the screw (or rivet) head is on the cockpit side.

By the time you've carpeted out this area (with underfelt too) you won't notice them.

Steve.

Ooops! Sorry I didn't see the subsequent replies saying a similair thing! :rolleyes:

I ran my petrol & brake pipes (both copper) inside the car between the floor & the chassis. it tucks under the radius of the chassis. brake pipe one side & petrol pipe the other. held by copper clips & self tappers with strips of rubber under the clips. did it this way to make it easy to get to & the carpet hides them .