Chassis No. Plate

NeilD

Hi,

We have a small cad engraver at work which we use to make up our own plates usually on ali, I have done this for a number of friends with a variety of kits, while in no way geared up for mass production we are quite happy to knock off a tidy looking plate for anyone in great need if they send us the details.

I personally am thinking of the odd plate now and again rather than big numbers!!!! - I'm sure there will be some one who is better geared up for it than us. Problem with large numbers is that the workshop room with engraver in is used quite a lot of the week by kids (I teach in a secondary school :) ) and it is a bit noisy, also we haven't charged for these other than postage and the occasional pint.

We also have knocked out various "built by..... plates" - these have been on double layered engraving plastic which looks like brushed stainless/ alu but is much easier to engrave, this has the build date engine chassis and bodytub numbers on too.

Not sure where to go from here- would certainly be happy to help people out but I have no time for a factory operation unless I got the Young Enterprise group to run it- they could knock thing s out during lunchand after school etc. We also have an as yet untested small Denford CNC miller which could probably knock them out faster.

Perhaps I should consult the Young Enterprise guys, gather a few Hoodie volunteers with no engine number plates and make up a few test panels to see what people think.

Let me know what you think and also if any info other than what is on the advertised plate should be added eg builders name etc.

atb

Mike

I'm seeing them today . does anyone know if the VIN plate must be metal or could it be "metal look" but actually something else??

Does anyone want to send some info to try out on a realistic example,

I have no connection with King Umbongo and internet scams etc !

atb

Mike

Guest STEVE OXON

seem to think that there should be a plate with chassis number attached to the car, and also with chassis number engraved onto chassis as well, correct me if im wrong.

........any further info on 'hood type'log books some one was designing?

steve

Update

Spoke to the lads (no ladies in Young Ents this year- always a recipe for poor organiation) and they are keen to have a go at producing something for this purpose. Have suggested thatone of themshould register and take it from there.

Re chassis numbers we have always had a stamped number on chassis, as Steve says, and the plate has been a cosmetic, accessible summary of relevant numbers.

Mike

• 2 months later...

with regards to this, if it still hasn't got anywhere, i may be able to get a number of plates made up, enamel screen printed ally, very high finish and can be stamped at home. i would need to know numbers and also get a design.

ste

Young Enterprise guys got way laid with selling Christmas trinkets and a home made "Teacher Trumps" game so no action as yet I'm afraid.

We go back around 6th Jan so if anyone wants a proto type knocking up - gratis - get in touch and I'l lsee what can be done!!

atb

Mike