How Do U Cut Glass?

agent_zed

Hi i was wondering if anyone knows how to cut window glass. I remember the banham TT copy :) used the metro windows but somehow reshaped them and i never found out how. Is it just the side windows that can be cut or can laminated windscreen be cut too?

:shok: Hi Zed, take very great care!!! side windows could be toughened glass which will shatter into thousands of tiny squares ( look for small dimples in a corner ) laminated can be cut but needs to be scored on both sides then split & the plastic membrane cut with a knife, edge can be trimmed on an oil-stone but it takes a long time. Warning--- this is what I remember from 30 years ago when I built my first kit-car--- please shoot me down quickly if I'm wrong. Regards Bob Fry

thanks for the reply, thats what i was thinking that it must be difficult to cut without shattering the toughened glass of side windows. I just dont understand how they do it on the banhams or is it done proffesionally for the kit?

I work for a company that does a fair bit of glass (Pilkington/Triplex). I wouldn't try DIY on any vehicle window. If I need glass for picture framing or similar, I'd get it cut at a glass merchant anyway- it's surpisingly cheap! HTH, Brian