Transplant Time

steve in stockport

:( :( :( :(

Wish i still had my hood :wacko:

go for it Steve (Or is it Sir Steve )

ive been gone 18 months now ,i do miss the meets @ The Darlaston they were good nights.

Duncan

ps if you need a hand Steve let me no :yahoo:

You dont need a whole floor mounted pedal box, just the brake pedal.

May look a bit odd, but works a treat.

PS I use the roll the foot method, Ive tried the "proper" heel & toe & end up locking the brakes, & screaming the engine...makes people in the High Street jump :D

been at it for well over a week now so here's a bit of an update

so far the drivers side tunnel wall has been moved in, fuel lines in the tunnel altered, all injection wiring removed and necessary wiring tested and labelled.

plough tube has been cut and modified - should hace done 2 x 45 degree cuts in hindsight, bulkhead crossmember has been relieved to allow for heater hose from rear of head, servo plate chopped and remounted, pedal box modded so pedals have only moved back 20mm, bulkhead cut and new box added for coilpack to live in and scratch built engine mounts sitting on peugeot 306 subframe mounts which cost the princely sum of £3.53 each

heres a few pics

DSC00893.jpg

DSC00891.jpg

DSC00885.jpg

DSC00887.jpg

DSC00890.jpg

have also got a caterham master cylinder - £20 from ebaythat hopefully will be up to the job of stopping the car while allowing it to stay in more or less the same postion as the sierra item and fit the carbs under/next to it

ps dont weld over your garage carpet, it ruins it!!!

Steve

Hi Steve,

Check clearance under the bonnet too, I had to lower my first attempt at engine mounts.

The bonnet fouled the cam cover pretty badly.

I also had to remove the plough tube, I took careful measurements before & there have been no changes over 4000 miles last year. I will eventually make up another removable cross beam to sit just under the sump....when I get around to it :D

PS mine is a sliding pillar chassis, so the plough is a bit different.

Bob

Thanks Bob,

hopefully it will be ok, have had a bar from the dash top to the rad cap and the engine sits under it.

according to the tape measure i should have 3/4" from the front top of the engine to the underneath of the bonnet joint fold - fingers crossed, will try it tomorrow

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Five weeks and the red top finally started today :D

Today I got to the stage where all that was left to do before a test start was to remove the injection pump from the fuel line, connect some water hose and fill with water. Did these jobs, temporarily fitted the cut down exhaust manifold (no silencer) pushed the car out of the garage and then with everything crossed and the wife and youngest son trying to escape before the air turned blue I held my breath and turned the key.

Bit of a cough but no cigar.

Second turn - cough, splutter and oh yes its running!!! :yahoo:

the excitement even managed to dull the pain and stem the flow of blood from the cut on the head i got off the garage door.

not a bad result for an untested £80 engine from ebay - fully rebuilt by me, second hand coil pack and MBE ecu, 38mm mikunis respaced and jetted to 1.75mm by myself on a cut down injection manifold.

Next step is to get the manifold welded and fit the caterham master cylinder for the brakes.

Oh yes Bob, forgot to say had a trial fit of the bonnet and everything is ok thanks

Steve

Guest Ian & Carole

Well done that man ;)

Great feeling isn't it. :D :D

I remember the first time I turned the key on the Toyota, heart in mouth - will it won't it ??????? B)

Big push now and get it ready for the road.

See you both at Stoneleigh ?

Regards

Ian J

Great news Steve.

"the excitement even managed to dull the pain and stem the flow of blood from the cut on the head i got off the garage door."

This must be catching as Friday went to load wife's car opened hatch back ready car parked off of drive so approching from side whacked head on side of hatch big cut trip to A+E and 4 stitches. :o

It still hearts

Stephen

• 1 year later...