What To Do With 3k?

Guest docter fox

Guest docter fox

It's been too long without a fun car to tinker with....

I have a budget of about 3k, possibly 3.5 if there car is good enough but would prefer not to have to spend that much/ I'm after something small, fun to drive and quite possibly convertible as I miss the hood, but to use as my only car as it will be parked on the street so no suggestions of a robin hood as I just couldn't leave it outside... I'm after something post 2000 so although I know it's very girly I'm currently thinking a 2001 mgf, they seem quite a bit cheaper than the obvious rival of the mx-5, any other ideas/suggestions? or comments about the mgf?

James

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jabberwocky
It's been too long without a fun car to tinker with....

I have a budget of about 3k, possibly 3.5 if there car is good enough but would prefer not to have to spend that much/ I'm after something small, fun to drive and quite possibly convertible as I miss the hood, but to use as my only car as it will be parked on the street so no suggestions of a robin hood as I just couldn't leave it outside... I'm after something post 2000 so although I know it's very girly I'm currently thinking a 2001 mgf, they seem quite a bit cheaper than the obvious rival of the mx-5, any other ideas/suggestions? or comments about the mgf?

James

Smart Roadster?

Make sure any mgf does not suffer from head gasket trouble, friend of mine blew one and was told they are very prone after a certain mileage. Cost him big bucks to have it fixed.

Guest docter fox

the smart roadsters start at about 5k so there a bit above my price range.

the dreaded headgasket on the K series is a bit of a worry but there is quite a few low mileage ones about so suppose you've gotta bite the bullet and hope for the best...

Guest Jabberwocky

5k OMG I did not think they where that much new.

K series, IIRC it was all to do with the Head studs, can not remember if it was the nylon studs to go for or avoid, I am sure someone will point you in the right direction

Guest salty_monk

Mileage doesn't really matter on an MGF... luck does :D

My friends one had one done at about 30k but it's been ok since......

What about an MR2?

What about a Robin Hood with one of Joel's hardtops?? :lol:

Dan :)

Guest Toejam

Only one car for me on that budget..... (And if your not worried about looks)

Pug 205 1.9 GTi

I know the're a bit tatty and everyone assumes are being driven be a spotty teenager, but what a car ! Still has the power & handling to outrun a lot of the modern cars around & more to the point it's a very direct & great fun car to drive.

(I got taught a thing or two by one of these a fair few years back driving an accord type R & the flipping things are only just over a second slower than my Evo to the 60 mark)

Guest chris brown

James

Go for an older MX5 or Eunos rather than the MG they are really well balanced, well built (something you could never accuse the MG of) The engines seem to go on for ever (super reliable) and there’s lots of tuning bits available. Another point is they hold there price well so even by going for an older one you wont loose so much as with the MG.

Guest docter fox

Well I have had a spot of luck and the budget has now been moved up to about 4.5k which is now mg tf territory, but would be welcome to any other ideas as atm I cant seem to stop grinning :D lol still don't fancy a smart roadster but would welcome any other suggestions, gonna have a quick look at the mr2's now... any poss ideas for a similar priced and engined coupe would be welcome to...

Oh and it now also has to be at least an 02 plate, as my parents have just said they'll get me a private reg for my 21st :D

Thanks

James