Embuggerance Factor

Longboarder

So I was just swopping my diff, as you do, 3.62 LSD in 3.92 open out. Doing it with the car over the pit. Cut off the boot on the right and oil pours out. So tray under. Go and get second tray, anticipating the other side will do the same, climb back into pit to do the left and put my foot in the full oil tray which already had the old oil from both diffs in it. Well it's dark down there. Ho Ho Ho, did I have a giggle about doing that.

Nigel

Guest chris brown

Doesn’t it stink as well Nigel? (I hate the smell of any gear oil) Had the stuff down the back of my neck before. Also once stepped in a tray of engine oil I had just drained from a diesel, straight over the top of my boot. Still hot, and very black :(

You know mate at our age we should be more careful :p

well doc

perhaps you aught to know where the oil was as you put it there?

also the temp and viscosity, mayby the temp of patient and the oil reserve.

also the manner in which you actually put the oil in the pan left it there and forgot about it !

perhaps oil pressure was an issue?

regards graham

Thanks for all the support and sympathy. I'll be relieved when the brain goes completely and I don't have to work on the car. I can just sit in a corner in a nice warm puddle of wee and watch telly all day and not worry about anything.

Applied for my bus pass yesterday. The librarian refused to fill out the forms until I had proved I was old enough. 'You're not sixty!' she said. I asked her to marry me as she is clearly a woman of silver tongue and excellent taste! Unfortunately seeing as she is a woman of excellent taste she wet herself laughing which spoilt it a bit. Maybe she smelt the diff oil and thought I had had an accident. She was too old for me anyway.

Nigel

Guest timswait

When I was a kid I changed the oil on my dad's car with him. We changed the oil fine without any of the usual antics of dropping the sump plug in the tray full of oil, knocking it over, etc. Even remembered to put the sump plug back in before pouring the new oil in! In fact all went very well with not a drop spilled anywhere until my dad reversed the car back up the drive over the can full of old dirty oil! :D

Had a slight incident when I had my S7 a few years ago which led to a full re-carpet exercise inside and fit new seats.

Decided to do an oil change. Found that my drain can was full so decided to drain oil into an empty washing up bowl.

All went well. At the end of the exercise I decided to 'safely' store the bowl of oil on the top shelf in the garage where no-one would step on it or trip over.

At bed time my wife said 'have you seen the cat?' 'No' I replied. Oh dear. He'd been locked in the garage with no light on and yes, you guessed it, an S7 with a tunnel top and seats full of oil and a cat that looked like one of those birds that has been dragged out of an oil spill at sea.

I think we finished clearing up at about 3am. Lots of expletives and fairy liquid. Still, I got a pass to buy new carpets and seats out of it.

Andy

Guest craig030774
The boot of my Peugeot still stinks of diff oil from a spillage about 5 years ago, nothing will get that stuff out!

Dan :)

empty a bottle of milk in there and leave in the sun hey presto no more diff oil smell :D