Iva The New Sva

Snapperpaul

Article in Complete Kit Car seems to clarify (almost) the transition from Single Vehicle Approval to Individual Vehicle Approval and have been talking directly with Mr VOSA, a lot less to worry about with the only really serious issue a reverse for BEC's and a clampdown on the Amature built status to prevent the kit manufactorers passing off there own builds as Amature.

More test stations up from 24 to 42.

Should still be some part built bargins for a while as people panic over the new regs.

Reads as 42 test areas within the IVA test to me too, not more test stations

Quote in CKC-

The IVA inspection will include up to 60 test areas, not all of which apply to all vehicle categories. For kit cars there will be approximately 42 test areas. many of which are identical to the 24 areas covered by SVA, but with some new item not previously included.

They would go and change it all now that I have a kit to put in for a test :lol: :crazy: :cray:

Guest bmurphy
When is this to go into effect?

The last SVA vertificate will be issued on April 28th 2009 and the IVA will begin on April 29th. This is according to a quote from VOSA on the cobra kit club forum. The man from VOSA also attached these files which show the new directives. Doesn't actually look too bad on the surface, other than the bureaucracy that will be involved in the change over.

IVA_Files.Zip

Guest timswait
a clampdown on the Amature built status to prevent the kit manufactorers passing off there own builds as Amature.

Well, Robin Hood are pretty amateur, do you think that counts? :p ;)

Seriously though, this seems like good news. Maybe a few more hoops to jump through, but should still be possible for us to carry on building our cars.

Just out of interest what do the kit car makers have to do now then? Is it some form of type certification? And how about the grey imports, they used to be SVA tested?

as far as i know the pro test is a bit tougher and especially on emmisions .

4 applications and i am still waiting for a test date , the first one went in in feb.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I don't know if you are yet up to date with the BIVA proposals and consultation document?

http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/open/typeapproval/

We noticed in there , page 31, a list of new fees, a HUGE increase to £540 for testing !

One of our other concerns is the requirement for high back seats in all cars going through BIVA which would impact on the authenticity of many replicas and be unachievable on many.

Kev Rooney ( ACE admin team ) www.the-ace.org.uk

Edited by ACE

OOPS ! thanks for pointing it out.

Over at ACE we've direct contact with VOSA and DFT to the actual guys dealing with the issues ( not a mate of a mates brother who knows the situation). I know the seats wouldn't woory al ot as the 'usual deal' applies, they only test the car as presented. We all need to think about what would happen if that situation where to change and we had a situation like TUV ?

Contrary to popular belief the TUV isn't an MOT but MOT AND SVA (compliance regs ) rolled into one to ensure the OEM type approved spec hasn't been altered.

Guest salty_monk

Have several German friends over here... they told me you would need to have an inspection & registration for something as harmless as a wide body front wing for example over there... that would be a real pain!

Dan :(

Almost forget to add we will not be going to go through IVA ,equivalent to ESVA, but BIVA (Basic Individual Vehicle Assessment ) equivalent to SVA. Watch what info you get as many are confusing the two , including the kit car magazines !