Removing Sillycone Sealant

ibrooks

For clever read easy.

I need to remove the stff from fibreglass, some other sort of plastic and stainless as I'm sufering from a bad case of previous owner syndrome. I'm just off to do a web search now since I'm sure I can remember hearing about something that would dissolve silicone sealant (just a question of how it would affect the fibre-glass or other plastic) but I thogt I'd ask here as well.

I just wish I could get the stuff to stick as well around the edge of my bath.

Iain

Cheers for that - will have a look and see what details there are. B&Q have one listed but precious little in the way of details. I'll call into a store tomorow and read the details on the tin to see if it's suitable. Hopefully I'll be able to post back with the results for future reference.

Iain

Guest Colin

[

Scratch across the top of the silicone with a stanley knife,then soak in vinegar,its a bit slow but works no harm to fibre glass or plastic.then peel & rub off with fingers.

Colin

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Toejam

We use White Spirits / Meths / Acetone to remove the ample amount of Silicone our fitters get everywhere putting up consevatories. Watch out with acetone near fiber glass though, I don't think it has any effect when it's fully cured, but I wouldn't brave it !