Dip Stick

speedtripledan

Hi,

Just wondered if any one knew if the dip stick that goes in to a 2.0l pinto was shorter with the rs alloy sump ? or what the oil capacity would be?

Dan

Reason i,ve asked is i was flying round a large rounderabout the other night putting manners on bike when i switched right to left i got a big plume of smoke erupt out of the exhaust the engine is a 800mile old fully recon 2.1 pinto so this should not have happened ! i thought the head gasket had blown or a ring had dropped but it is ok the 30miles home was perfect so i can only assume it is over filled with oil..

Edited by notimpressed

There are definitely different lengths of dipstick around- I've got two that are 2 inches different (the tubes they fit in are also 2" different to match)- but the important thing IMHO is that the surface of the oil should be a certain distance below the lowest moving parts. I've measured an old pinto with the dipstick in and sump off- the distance from bottom of engine block/top of sump gasket to full level was 88mm and empty was 110mm. I'm working from memory but will confirm these figures when I can consult my notes. HTH, Brian

Hi,

Just wondered if any one knew if the dip stick that goes in to a 2.0l pinto was shorter with the rs alloy sump ? or what the oil capacity would be?

Dan

Sorry to answer a question with a question, but the topic is something Ive been thinking about.

I have a shortened sump and was wondering if that would affect the ideal level for oil on the dipstick?

Guest chris brown
Sorry to answer a question with a question, but the topic is something Ive been thinking about.

I have a shortened sump and was wondering if that would affect the ideal level for oil on the dipstick?

No it doesn’t use the same dipstick just keep it toped up you can even over fill the pinto by 10mm or so with no problems

Dip stick measures where the surface of the oil is. If you shorten the sump, you change where the bottom is (and have less volume), but the surface level should stay the same- so use original dipstick and all will be well! HTH, Brian

Guest Peter353
Hi,

Dan

Reason i,ve asked is i was flying round a large rounderabout the other night putting manners on bike when i switched right to left i got a big plume of smoke erupt out of the exhaust the engine is a 800mile old fully recon 2.1 pinto so this should not have happened ! i thought the head gasket had blown or a ring had dropped but it is ok the 30miles home was perfect so i can only assume it is over filled with oil..

Overfilled maybe or just surged a load of oil as you changed direction.

If you empty the oil out....

Refill to manufactur's specs and amounts and mark the level on your dipstick once youve run the engine(to prime the filter) this will be your level. ( unless someone knows different. ;)

PC