Coil Overs

spg

My front shocks on my 2b wish bone have become coil bound to the point there no movement at all :( after zero miles.

I've had a look round on here and think I need 9" closed 13" open with 350lb springs, But when looking at the GAZ section on Rally Design they have 12mm and 16mm rod options, bearing and bushes and different spring diameters and lenghts.

What do I need to order

Thanks in advance

Steve

Steve,

check the other very recent threads about coil length esp. instances of coil bound zimmer springs.

check the location of your bottom coilover pivot point on the lower wishbones.

it should be as far outboard as possible.

Bob

Can you post a picture taken from in front looking back at the suspension on one side. It is possible but unlikely that you have been supplied with springs which have failed or were the wrong poundage. It is more likely that you have a geometry problem. There have been a couple of recent threads on this problem.

Nigel

The bottom mount is as inboard as possible. Thus increasing the load on the springs, I need to do this to get the ride hieght and miss the top bone. I'll get some pics when I get home.

Steve

I have 13 x 9's with 12mm rods and bushed ends, springs are 8" but 9" will fit and give you a bit more scope for adjustment.

If your fronts are shot chances are the backs will follow suit shortly so may be worth going the whole hog and doing all 4 corners.

make sure you get the inserts for the bushes to drop them in size from 12mm to 10mm or 3/8"

don't forget to try getting a price from dampertech too.

Steve

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi

I am using 13" open 9" closed shocks with 350lb 9"X 1.9" springs from Dave at Damper tec.

Great guy to talk to at the shows, knows his stuff inside out and products posted usually on day of order.

The first springs I bought were 300lb and coil bound when fitted,

cargrampy015.jpg

Dave changed them FOC by post and didn't charge me postage,

DSC01149.jpgafter.

What more can you say.

Ian J

Ian,

Your wishbones are a bit more rugged than teh standard 2b RHE design!!

Your mountings are a long way from the hubs.. On the 2B wishbone you can get them a lot closer. It all bends if you dont.

Using 1.9" springs gives more clearance at the top and an extended eye piece drops the top of the spring stop, so making the fit in the top wishbone easier.

I could actually use longer dampers, currently 13.5" . I recon about 14" would set it right, but every 2B wishbone seems to be gigged differently.

I have 10" between top to bottom body mounts. I have forgotten other measurement but will post next time I am online at home.

Graham

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Graham

All changed over the winter, those pics were taken just as I finished the sliding pillar chop.

I have moved the bottom mounts out board nearly 2", lowered the rack 1/4" to get ride of really bad bump steer, all seems really we sorted now, running 2 clicks from softest for general runs might up it one or two for the run up to Tan Hill in August.

Ian J

Finaly manged to get a pic, As you can see I ve got the bottom mount as inboard as possible so the spring misses the top wishbone.

I'll move the bottom outward to see if it relieves the load on the spring. Going to be tight on the top of the spring and the top wishbone.

Anyone know if you can fit them upside down ??

Steve

Yes that looks about right. They wont go all the way to the hub as they hit the welds.

the top wishbone has minimal clearance.

Next job may be to raise the mushroom as Takumi has voiced on other threads.

My springs are 6.125" long, as wound up. They are 1.9" 350 lbs --and the car handles fine.

Sorry about the dirt -had some fun yesterday !!

Graham

post-971-1216042226_thumb.jpg

post-971-1216042457_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

The re-positioning help out enough to get thought the SVA but the springs are all squashed up again, Also the rears have started to creek. So I'am going to replace them all round. So just want to check before I ring round for prices.

I'll be ordering 9 closed 13 open 12mm rod bushed with a 9" 1.9 350 lb spring for the front, For the rears I need to know the open and closed lengths, And assuming I'll be wanting 350 1.9 springs. On the rear one end is bushed and the other a thread can't seem to find the thread feature in the catologes is it a case of make some brackets to fix them the trailing arms.

Cheers Steve

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Steve

You will have to make some "U" shaped brackets for the bottom mounting, bolted through the trailing arm.

Needs bolting through the centre of the recces where the standard Sierra spring would have previously lived.

HTHs