Sva Pass

TonySuperSpec

It did it passed first time at Birmingham today !!!!! B) B)

Even though

:o :o

1) it developed the Superspec habit of not starting when hot.. Thought I had solved that problem with an extra earth strap Engine to Gear Box any other solutions the starter simply won't turn it over, its like a flat battery but test showed Battery OK leave a few minutes to cool and bingo it starts.

2) right at the end after the noise test it blew off the top radiator hose but to late to fail the tester had already announced it had passed.

^_^ ^_^

Wish Birmingham DVLA were as helpful, they are being very anti getting a build up date, they now want some thing from RH to confirm the rear axle on the rolling chassis I bought from RH was reconditioned as new !!!

So it was back into the garage till I can get the bits of paper..

Never mind that MAC certificate has pride of place in the house till I have to hand it over to DVLA..

Thanks to all who gave me support and advice its been a very very long time ...

First time pass. Well done. Love it when a plan comes together. Must be a good build. Hope you get a chance to drive it when it isn't raining!

Starting problem. Is it dead or does it struggle to turn over as if compressions had gone very high? Are you using the MEMS ECU?

Nigel

Had to have a day in the garage...

Must find the problem of why top hose blew off and a cause of the starting problem.

1. Took Thermostat out ran it for 90 minutes hard at times and low and behold no excess pressure so no blow off.

2. Boiled the thermostat don't tell the wife I used her saucepan, it opened then closed even while hot. Oh!!! so a faulty stat looks like the cause will put in a new one and repeat tests.

3. While running to try and blow the hose again, I tried stopping and restart and the sticky starter problem came back ... Then put on another Battery earth and low and behold it went away...

So as suspected its the earth path for the starter current again. Rechecked my earth strap Engine to Gear Box and thats fine so decided to make my dual earth Battery to chassis a final fix and it now seems fine.

All you Superspec owners a quick question I have my Cert of Newness from RH but having visited the DVLA they don't agree the wording regarding the status of the rear axle and the fact it was rebuilt as good as new they want a letter from RH --- pain...

Spoke to Richard and he promised to do but experience is what he says and when he does are two different things. Any one else had this problem ?

Also when have people had to pay REG + Tax Birmingham DLVA want it up front before they will give me a build up date is that normal.

Still got a smile on my face...

Congratulations Tony!

Please can I ask a quick question.... Did you use the standard ECU from RH? There are quite a few posts on the superspec failing the emissions test, so just wondered how you did it?!

Have fun with the driving! Hope you get a few dry days in before winter gets here!

James

Congratulations Tony!

Please can I ask a quick question.... Did you use the standard ECU from RH? There are quite a few posts on the superspec failing the emissions test, so just wondered how you did it?!

Have fun with the driving! Hope you get a few dry days in before winter gets here!

James

Yes did use the ECU as supplied.

Took it to Avon Electronics to match the Immobilizer box they make to it since as many have found the ECU is not immobilizer mapped out always.

With regards to emissions.. Used the Lambda supplied. result was a staggering 0.0 i.e working 100% CORRECTLY OVERALL ACCORDING TO TESTER HE DID IT TWICE TO BE SURE.

Pre SVA test had shown 0.1 % overall

Reason I believe this is so good is to do with

1. Ensuring Heater on LAMBDA is switching on !!!! I have seen relay wiring that has made me Cr****

2. I used shielded cable for Lambda signal from the plug near the alternator to the sensor, The joint to the sensor was shielded at the crimps.

3. If you look at Rover 820, 620 and 420 wiring diagrams for MEMS ECU there is an addendum identifying even with Rover approved LAMDA fitted that the cabling will benefit from being shielded.

Discussed this fully with Paul at Avon he has a vast knowledge on MEMS ECU and the Lambda sampling on MEMS includes very little noise filtering so even if your Lambda is working 100% if its cable is near noisy electrical systems and the alternator is one of the noisiest the signal without a shield may be degraded so badly you might not have any feedback that the MEMS can use and the ECU will remain open loop controlling hence very rich lots of CO2

I have seen comments of grinding the exhaust mount to get Lambda further into gases all this does does is make Lambda more Bang - Bang control since there is only a 1Volt swing on the sensor from fully Rich to fully lean in the control loop

So hope that has helped other info at Lambda and Paul at Avon on von

Regards....

Great, thanks for the info Tony

Really glad you got it sorted with the kit as supplied by RH. I've done all my wiring now, so if I have any trouble with emissions at SVA, shielding will be the first thing I look at!

Hope you get it registered soon.

Thanks again

James