Seat And Harness Fixing

Guest kleighton

Guest kleighton

Morning all,

I've read a lot of previous posts regarding fitting the seats and harness anchor points and have got a good idea about what I need to do, but I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, the inner floor harness anchor points. I don't have any room to fit them on the angle that supports the rear inner seat mounts, so am having to fit them further back than the seat. Would it be acceptable to bolt through the floor onto a seperate length of angle but not secure this to the chassis ? This length won't run the whole width of the car, it will be just long enough to secure two anchor's to, i.e. just longer than the width of the tunnel.

Secondly, and not as much as an issue as the harness will not be secured to the seat. Would a length of angle between the rear inner seat bolts be enough, again not securing this to the chassis. The rear outer bolts will be secured to the plate holding the large cup washer/bolt. Also, and I am pretty sure this is ok as the harnesses are not connected to the seat, but can I use 1" angle for the front seat bolts (This will run the width of the car and bolt to the chassis) ?

I would just like some clarification for point number 2. Having read previous posts, I think the mounting of the seat is not as critical if the harness is not anchored to it. I think I have answered my own question there but would just like someone to confirm please.

I've just read that back and it makes sense to me, hope it makes sense to you too.....

Thanks

Keith

Guest chris brown
Morning all,

I've read a lot of previous posts regarding fitting the seats and harness anchor points and have got a good idea about what I need to do, but I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, the inner floor harness anchor points. I don't have any room to fit them on the angle that supports the rear inner seat mounts, so am having to fit them further back than the seat. Would it be acceptable to bolt through the floor onto a seperate length of angle but not secure this to the chassis ? This length won't run the whole width of the car, it will be just long enough to secure two anchor's to, i.e. just longer than the width of the tunnel.

Secondly, and not as much as an issue as the harness will not be secured to the seat. Would a length of angle between the rear inner seat bolts be enough, again not securing this to the chassis. The rear outer bolts will be secured to the plate holding the large cup washer/bolt. Also, and I am pretty sure this is ok as the harnesses are not connected to the seat, but can I use 1" angle for the front seat bolts (This will run the width of the car and bolt to the chassis) ?

I would just like some clarification for point number 2. Having read previous posts, I think the mounting of the seat is not as critical if the harness is not anchored to it. I think I have answered my own question there but would just like someone to confirm please.

I've just read that back and it makes sense to me, hope it makes sense to you too.....

Thanks

Keith

On your first point it is usual to make up a substantial mounting point for the inner mount within the tunnel using something like 3 or 4mm steel formed into a U shape with fillet pieces welded into the inner corners and fitted so the sides of the U come up the inside of the tunnel by about 3” these being drilled and having nuts welded on to accept the seat belt mounting bolts. This U section is now bolted (using 2 bolts the same size or bigger than the seat belt mounting bolts and of 8.8 grade or better) through the floor of the tunnel into an angle iron that goes the full width of the car. This angle can also be the seat mounting and the hand brake cable guide.

Don’t forget to take photos of whatever method you use to show the SVA tester as you don’t want to be taking the seats out on the test just to prove what you have done is strong enough.

hi,

i did mine slightly differently. For my 2b i have the angle bolted underneith for the handbrake pickup and then i made 2 (one for each side) brackets which bolted down through the floor next to the tunnel through this angle. My angle is bolted to the floor and welded to the subframe as i wanted everything to be rigid as possilble.

the brackets were flat 3mm x 35mm mild steel about 6 inches long (sorry i work in both measurements which ever is nearest :) ). I gripped one end in a vice and twisted the other end 90 degrees. This means that the bracket will be bolted to the floor facing towards the front of the car and the seatbelt will then bolt to the top and come off flat over your lap. If you put the twist the correct way either side then you can easily fit the full seirra seat in around it. You can then just round off the corners to make it safer and look nice etc

This passed sva with no problems last June.

hth

Keith

I used a 2 ish inch angle under the floor bolted to the rear subframe from the sierra, where its bolted the the 2b floor. This angle acts as the rear mount for the seats and inside belt mounts.

Used the hinge bits from the sierra split rear seat the make the belt mount.

Steve

PS any pics on the progress sounds like it come on well.

Guest kleighton

Thanks for you replies everyone,

I'm going to have to have a re-think about this then. My tunnel is already in place and I don't really want to take this apart again. I think what I might do is have a length of angle across the width of the car welded to the subframe which will hold the rear seat mounts, and on to the back of this weld another piece of angle to which I will mount the harness.

Think that will be acceptable ?

Good point about the pics Chris...the camera is ready.

Florin.....I've decided to put my fuel filler cap on the top of the boot side. I've got some flexible fule filler tube and the filler pipe supplied by RH, so together with a doughnut I think I've got it sorted......thanks.

Cheers

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ian & Carole

Keith

I used 4 of these on the inside of the tunnel.

The seat belt then sandwiches the tunnel side if that makes sense.

For the out side I shaped and welded one of the brackets into the triange shaped space just in front of the rear wheel.

Passed SVA with out challenge, He just pulled the seat side squab away from the tunnel so he could see and was happy.

Photo during build would make sense though.

If I recall SVA demands the "NUT" be fixed.

HTHs

Guest chris brown
Can the belts not just be bolted through the Angle iron support under the car?

They could be but they are then at the wrong angle to come up the side of the seats and may well be in the way of the seat mounts. But whatever way you fit them as Ian says unless the fixing can be removed by one person i.e. can easily reach both the nut and bolt at the same time then the nut has to be welded in place.

Guest kleighton

Evening all,

I've made and fitted my harness bracketry. I've welded up some 2" angle to the subframe at the sides of the car and run two lengths of 2" angle across the width of the car, one for the rear seat mountings and the other for the inner harness brackets.

Here's a pic of the inner bracket, hope it's ok.

post-1145-1224794405_thumb.jpg